Kyōtani Kentarō: Tame

Summary: Fluff

• Playing Volleyball with Mad Dog outside of school forms a friendship of sorts, not that he'll ever admit to that.

Warnings: None

>>>----------------><----------------<<<

Kentarō Kyōtani...

Or Mad Dog as he was nicknamed by Oikawa.

You'd heard of his reputation from murmurs in the classroom but you'd never expected to see him at the community centre playing Volleyball. From the sidelines you watched him spike as you tied your laces, he wasn't a team player you'd noticed but his abilities were beyond impressive which lead you to approach him after he was sent off to 'cool down' a bit.

"It's Kyōtani, right?"

The only response was a simple grunt, considering you weren't really charming when talking to new people you took this as a blessing in disguise.

"Can I set for you please? You're just really talented and I was hoping we could help each other out." Now your offer was appealing, if only out of desperation to play the game, which is exactly why he ended up calling you onto the court for a one on one session.

"You're... good..." His hesitant compliment caught you off guard, you'd just thrown him a set that was tailored to his playing style thus resulting in an incredible spike. You were no Kageyama or Oikawa but you could set.

From then on he always sought you out at the community centre, often tossing a ball your way as a silent invitation. The surrounding attendees were surprised at the developments but dared not mention it considering this was the most cooperative he'd been since starting, nor did they comment when he dragged you from the centre as it got busier to practice together in various spaces such as park courts or at the school when the hall wasn't in use. It was apparent you'd made a subconscious pledge of friendship at some point in time whether either of you willingly admitted to it or not.

"Why aren't you on the girls team princess?" The nickname was used as an insult, referring to how torn up you were after you'd tarnished your brand new white trainers whereas he could only laugh at your problem - despite helping you clean them afterwards.

"I would love to be, but I get too nervous to try out. They're so good and I don't think my skills are up to standard I guess, but I enjoy these sessions so it's fine. Why aren't you on Oikawa's squad puppy dog?" You had your own playful nickname, one he'd only ever scoffed at but responded to anyway. Only if you were the one to call him by it, anyone else would not survive the day.

"I don't get on with them."

"Oh, well from what I've seen you're the best second year player they've got. I think you should try, they're a great team and you'd go far together. Just trust them."

"I should accept Oikawas offer to play in the Spring Playoffs then?" It was the first he'd actually mentioned it but as he'd spent the two months away from the team continuing to train it was worth a shot.

"Yes! Definitely! Please do it Mad Dog, it'll be amazing, and I'll come to watch to ensure you're not slacking." You winked at him in all your excitement, so much so that you missed the small smile adorning his features before returning to his usual frown.

———

Within days he had told you what was happening and how you couldn't practice together as often since he'd rejoined Aoba-Johsai. Now your classmates were both confused and worried that Mad Dog had specifically sought you out to apologise about missing sessions but nonetheless you seemed really pleased for him. As agreed, you watched their games, including the one against Karasuno - they may've lost but you knew your friend had been issued a few harsh truths that improved his overall relationship with his new team.