Bokuto Kōtarō: An Ace and his Setter

Summary: Fluff with a small angsty argument

• You'd been playing with Bokuto since Middle School, but the hardships of Fukurōdani and the growing attraction put strains on your once strong bond.

Warnings: None

>>>----------------><----------------<<<

You'd heard it before, the most potent occasion being in the first year of Ushimi Middle School where the chosen sport for the month was volleyball and as such you were all made to watch a game unfold to improve your understanding of it. It helped decide what club was best suited to you if you wished to join one at all.

"The relationship between an Ace and their Setter can be a remarkable and unbreakable one..." Was the sentence that seemed to stand out, and when the class was told to pair up for practice you didn't have much of a choice in the matter.

"(L/n) will be my Setter!"

You whirled around to the voice, finding a young Bokuto slinging an arm around your shoulders, proudly smirking at the teacher who had no objections. Meanwhile you could only offer a pleading look to your usual friends who curiously shrugged.

Thus began one hell of a relationship.

You ended up forming an odd friendship from your time together, Volleyball became the chosen club for you both and whenever the girls and boys team played practice games the two of you were vocally competitive. These matches didn't affect your flourishing bond off the court, after practices you met up to continue the training leaving your individual teams thoroughly confused at how neither of you were exhausted. As always you were his Setter and he was your Ace, such an arrangement predominating all the way to Fukurōdani Academy.

———

"(Y/n)!" You recognised the cheerful voice instantly, his jog one you'd memorised too as you whipped around with a welcoming smirk. He'd grown more muscular over the years, more handsome too and he was already a star player on your high school Volleyball team by his first year - but now starting your second year, Preliminaries were an equal priority for both of you.

Once over, the stress on your relationship relieved itself slightly, you could bask once more in having your friend back - preferably not in 'emo mode'...

"Why so dejected today?" You chimed knowing how fragile his moods were despite attuning yourself to them over the years, encouragingly nudging his arm as you joined his side.

"My cross spikes keep getting blocked and it's pissing me off." Bokuto bitterly mumbled, a huff escaping his lips to which you could only laugh, leading him to start a meaningless argument with you.

With a roll of your eyes you ushered him to the nearest gymnasium, throwing him a ball - Kōtarō knew you well enough to understand you'd been struck with inspiration and adjusted his knee pads in preparation.

"Have you tried a straight spike before?" You absentmindedly questioned, Bokuto tilting his head slightly in cautious consideration with the gesture resembling that of an owl.

"Kinda, but it's looked down upon isn't it?"

"True but if anyone can make it a powerful weapon it's gotta be you, right Kou?" It was a calculated challenge, one he could only smirk at now in a completely different mood compared to a few moments ago. He'd never admit how much of an influence you had over that, even if his entire team found it blatantly obvious.

"Hell yeah (Y/n), I'll try it for you okay."

So he did, with the time you dedicated to each other it was evident that his straight spikes were a force to be reckoned with, soon you both took it to his team (mainly Akaashi) and they were eventually improved to a level where they couldn't be touched by opponents.