Oikawa Tōru: Celebrating

Summary: Angst-ish, fluff

• [REQUESTED] oikawa x karasuno manager reader comforting him after losing the semi-finals karasuno, the boys (karasuno) saw reader hugging him at the parking lot and they're shocked.

>>>----------------><----------------<<<

Dating an opponent was hard, there was no secret in that and it was a barrier both yourself and Oikawa had to frequently overcome throughout the course of your relationship - of course, it was that much steeper when your own team was responsible for thrashing Seijoh and knocking them out of the tournament.

The cheers of the crowd dissipated the built up tension in your entire body as Hinata slammed match point over on Aobajohsais side of the court leaving a split second of palpable silence before your team broke into screams of victory alongside spectators. Immediately afterwards you were engulfed by a joyous Kiyoko and Yachi, reciprocating the excited embrace with equal enthusiasm before racing over to tackle your buzzing Teammates.

However, you were conscious enough to momentarily spare a hopeful glance to a crestfallen Seijoh - the sight morphing you're expression to that of empathy, specifically their Captain who shared some final words with Kageyama before meeting your gaze and only offering a slight nod of acknowledgement.

It wasn't until you were loading up the bus to return home did you have the opportunity to properly converse with Oikawa, the both of you too occupied with the congrats from friends and rivals beside your respective teams to see each other. Catching him trailing behind a few stray first years who'd likely been caught up in the emotional loss (whom he'd presumably went to fetch) rejuvenated your tired frame. With a jolt to Daichis' shoulder and brief explanation - the action drawing the attention of surrounding teammates - you briskly jogged over to the Aobajohsais' bus and gingerly cut into their Captains path with a cautious quirk of your lips.

Oikawa released a long pent up sigh, flicking his irises over you with very little emotion at all before trusting himself to speak - words alone catching in his throat as he winced at his faltering.

"You should ah - you should celebrate with your team whilst you can (L/n). Shiratorizawa will be difficult opponents, don't let your guard down."

Ouch, you could tell he was withholding his sharp tongue and subduing his brewing sorrow courtesy of his recent defeat as to not take his anger out on you or defile your radiant accomplishment. His facade however, was painfully fake to you, the lack of endearment when addressing you was evidence enough but you knew he was doing this for your benefit and subliminally translated your gratitude via physical touch.

Even if his solemn advice initially wiped any traces of a gleeful smile from your features, it was soon replaced by a sincerely soft one accompanied by a delicate hand to his heart.

"I love you, Tōru."

The Setter didn't say anything in return, a quake to his features whilst tears accumulated in the corner of his eyes - instantly he choked up, clenching them closed and shaking the feeling away with a forced chuckle prior to pulling you in for a quick hug that lasted longer than he'd originally intended and pushing you back toward a waiting Karasuno.

You hadn't the option nor opening to voice your worries, not with your boyfriend already focusing on his team by the time you'd looked back and it only tightened the unsettling grip in your chest more so. Your team knew of your romantic relationship with him so the affection had come as shock, in fact the lack of was more abnormal to them. So, once settling on the bus, Daichi inquired about the situation - the curiouser underclassmen likely eavesdropping.