Chapter 37

“Lianna…” Draven finally called softly and I saw something flash in her eyes before she turned around, disappearing from our sight. “Wait!” Draven yelled before his hands were practically ripped away from mine. My heart dropped and I took a step forward as he started bolting towards the door but backed away as soon as his movements came to a halt. He turned around and I found him suddenly appearing in front of me before pulling me into a tight hug, my whole body squeezing against his.
“I’ll be right back, can you go back inside first?” he pulled away and I saw the desperation in his eyes but I didn’t say anything, instead I just gave him one final look before turning away. “I’ll just be a minute.” He disappeared and I was left standing alone in the terrace, my whole body freezing cold in this weather. Wow, okay.
After a few minutes, I found myself back in the bedroom and quickly changed into different clothes before plopping on the bed, burying myself inside the blanket as I brushed away some more tears. I waited for Draven for about an hour or so but realizing that he was not going to show up anytime soon, I decided to go to sleep. I literally did not have the strength to stress out about what happened just now, so it was best if I just go to sleep anyways.

x-x

The next day was all about avoiding Lianna and Draven, so I did my best to occupy myself with almost about anything. I had spilled the beans for Emily about last night before she left to visit her parents this morning, so yes, I was all alone today. I didn’t have breakfast nor lunch for that matter and luckily Draven was out all day. So here I was, back at the library and reading my second book for the day. I wanted to get my mind off about what happened last night and I was willing to do just about anything for it.
“Adriana, we need to talk.” Lianna’s voice almost made me jump up and I stood up, turning around to face her. She didn’t even bother to hide a scowl as I shrugged at her words.
“Yes?”
“I just want to clear things up. What’s going on with you and Draven?” My eyes slightly widened at her words but then I realized that she already saw us kissing so of course there was no point in hiding anything anymore.
“I don’t know. He says that he’s figuring things out.”
“He’s already figured it out. Look, I understand that you both have a thing now, but Adriana, I didn’t go through hell to come back to this,” she shook her head, her hair dancing around her face as she did. “I need him and he needs me. He is just confused right now and he is in a lot of pain, which is why he is using you to forget about me. But we both know that that’s not happening anytime soon because I don’t plan to give him up.” She went on and I could feel my mouth forming the shape of an “o” as she continued.
“How are you so sure that he doesn’t have feelings for me?” she visibly flinched at my question before putting on a small frown.
“Because he loves me, Adriana. We have been together for a long time and you can’t expect those feelings to just go away for some random girl he keeps around for pleasure.” At this point, I literally had to hold back a punch and the anger I’ve been trying so hard to keep in since last night was slowly beginning to rise again, thanks to this ignorant bitch. Lianna seemed to notice how upset I was getting and I watched her give me an apologetic look before turning away.
“I just want what’s mine, Adriana. Wouldn’t you fight for something you worked so hard to build? We both have seen the good side of Draven and I know how much you care about him. But so do I. And we both know that he is still in love with me, not you.” Her blunt words formed a painful lump in my throat but I had to keep a straight face on.
“Lianna-”
“Are you falling for him?” my heart raced faster than ever and there was no way that she was not able to hear them.
“No.” an obvious lie but Lianna nodded, as if she had just made a point in all of this.
“So let him go and let him be happy. If you really care about him then let him go. Because at the end of the day, I’m all he’s got, Adriana. I fixed him when he was broken once, and I can fix him again, I just need your help,” she finally breathed as if we were both already coming to an understanding. “So are you going to help me or keep playing the role of a mistress?” I scoffed at her words and shook my head in disbelief.
“Okay, first of all, Lianna, you need to take a step back and not make this about you-”
“Do you want to keep feeling like a second choice or not, Adriana? I’m just being real with you right now because I care about you too and wouldn’t want you to get hurt. I know how many girls Draven has used in the past for his own pleasure while I was gone. You just happened to be a bit special because of your blood, darling, it’s making him crave for more but that’s about it. He’s a vampire, Adriana and you’re a human. That’s never happened before. He is never going to fall in love with a human.” She leaned back against the book shelf and I folded my arms across my chest.
“And what about you?”
“I was different because I was the first girl he ever fell in love with. And after I was taken away? He never fell in love, and I really hope it stays that way, Adriana, am I clear now?” she was starting to get impatient and for the first time, her words got to me. I actually took in everything she said and I somehow found myself agreeing to everything she just made up.
“Crystal.” I said finally and thought about everything she said one more time. To be honest, maybe this was for the best. I was never good enough for him and if I stopped trying so hard to get something I can never have, then maybe I can finally move on. It’s kind of true that he is confused, it sure seemed like it when we talked even last night. Yes, at some point last night, I did believe in him, in us, but that was just my fantasy and I had to face reality now. As painful as this may be, I needed to let him go.
“Thank you, for understanding.” She said softly, touching my arms gently and giving them a small squeeze as I nodded with a weak smile. After that, she just disappeared and I dropped back down on my chair, my whole body feeling queasy, the sick feeling in my stomach making me want to hurl any second. But this was for the best. After all, Draven doesn’t really care about whatever we had, or else he would have made it clear last night when he went to talk with Liaanna. But he didn’t,and I can finally let him go. It’s crazy how things are for us. One minute, I want him, the next minute, I just want him to stay the hell away from me and just move on. God, this is going to be a one hell of a cliché story. I was the side bitch, who had somehow fallen in love with the devil himself, his ex-lover comes back into his life, leaving him torn apart and in confusion. The side chick is now going crazy, bouncing back and forth as she tries to win the heart of a man who has eyes for someone else. The love triangle becomes-
“Adriana, we’re inviting some people over, get ready to greet them,” Raymond popped out of nowhere and I gasped before shooting him a glare as he grinned. “Ah, never gets old.” He amused as I rolled my eyes.
“Do you guys necessarily have to have people around all the time? Why not just do something more productive and-”
“And read a book?” Raymond made a face in disgust and I gasped before hitting his shoulder playfully.
“How dare you.”
“Not everyone likes to live in a mansion and do nothing but mope around like you, kitten.”
“I swear, you guys deserve an award for being assholes.”
“Good looking ones at that.” I rolled my eyes and raised a brow at him.
“You really think you’re good looking? Honey, I’ve seen lab rats better looking than-”
“Step off my ego, kitten, that’s not nice.” He started sulking and I let out a dark chuckle before brushing past him and leaving the room.