CHAPTER 48

What?" I turned to face him and Draven stood silent, studying my expression.
"I said that I love you, Adriana." He said finally, licking his lips slowly.  I opened my mouth to say something but then turned away. Lies, he was just using the moment to his advantage.
"You're lying." I swiftly opened the door but Draven closed it back.
"Seriously, Adriana? I meant that. I don't just say those kind of words without meaning it, hell I never said those words to anyone besides you," His voice softened, with a hint of disappointment in them. "I meant it."
"I see..." I didn't turn around. I mean, I was only expecting him to admit he had some feelings for me, not this. And the only reason why I wanted him to say it was because that was the only way I would not feel guilty and used by him.
"That's it?" Draven questioned, taking my shoulder and turning me around to face his confused expression. "Do you have any idea how hard that was for me to do? Loving a human is forbidden, Adriana. Loving you could get us both killed, yet I wanted you to know. I had to let you know because otherwise, you'd continue to keep seeing me as nothing but an asshole who keeps you around only for sex and pleasure. I never used you, Adriana. Especially when I started falling for you. I could never hurt you-"
"Stop. I just...I need some time to think," l mumbled and noticed him flinch.
"Why? What's there to think about?" He asked, his eyes wavering slightly.
"A lot. You are the one who made those rules in the first place, Draven. And now you want to break them, but like you said, it could get us both killed. That doesn't exactly sound like a happy ending for either of us." I gripped the doorknob from behind and noticed something flash in his eyes. "I'm sorry, but I need time to think." I turned, opening the door and closing it shut before he could say anything. My eyes landed on Vincent, who's eyes widened as he stopped in his tracks to look at me. His eyes trailed me from head to toe and for the first time, I watched his jawline clench before he took a step forward, causing my eyes to lower in guilt and fear.
"What are you doing?"
"I-I, the thing is, Draven-"
"Right, never mind." He mumbled, turning around and I grabbed his hand, guilt kicking in instantly. The door opened and Draven stepped out but I could only spare him a glance before looking at Vincent.
"Adriana, wait-" Draven froze halfway, grabbing my wrist before his eyes landed on Vincent. I gripped Vincent's hand tightly and felt Draven's grip tighten too.
"Adriana..." I heard Draven start in a rather soft voice but quickly brushed his hands away when Vincent started leaving. I followed behind Vincent, whose eyes never left whatever was in front of him.
"I'm sorry..." I stopped and Vincent paused before opening his room.
"I asked you to give us a chance, Adriana. But right after we came from the date, you end up in his bedroom, doing what?"
"It's not like that. It just happened, I didn't mean it to." I started to explain myself and watched him narrow his eyes at me in suspicion.
"If you say so." He said finally and let out a sigh.
"I'm sorry. I didn't see this as a joke nor was I trying to use you to forget Draven. I was serious about giving a chance to work this out." I lowered my eyelashes on the ground, not sure whether he was convinced or not. After a long silence, Vincent finally spoke.
"It's fine, I understand. Just get some sleep." I looked up at him as he faked a smile and slowly nodded, my mind going blank. God, what have I gotten myself into?
×××
The next morning, I woke up with a slight headache, which was no doubtedly caused due the fact that I was stressing about my situation the whole night. Whether to give Draven or Vincent a chance? Honestly,  how the hell did my life come to this point anyways? When did I change from the side chick to the main chick? Especially with two guys. I would have dreamed of scenarios like this back in high school, but now that it's really happened, I didn't like it one bit. I didn't want to hurt either of them. I cared about them both. But that sounds too cliché for my own good. So in the end, I decided to do one thing, the one thing that seemed sensible after hours and hours of contemplating my situation. And that was that-
"Morning," I gasped when Draven entered the room, shirtless, might I add, with only a grey sweat pants that hung way too loosely on his hips, revealing his v-line. "Sorry, you didn't respond when I knocked so I-anyways, can we talk?" I practically had to rip my eyes from his body and meet his intense gaze.
"Talk about what?"
"About last night." He started and I nervously chuckled before getting up, ready to enter the toilet to fix my messy hair when he appeared next to me, holding my wrist in a gentle but firm grip. "Please." He added softly and I licked my lips slowly before nodding. After all, sooner or later, I had to tell him what I needed to. The sooner the better.
"Can you sit?" He asked quietly and I sat back down on the bed and watched him nervously pace around the room, opening his mouth every now and then, but shutting it right back. This was the first time I've seen his like this.
"So, what I said last night, I-"
"It's alright, I know you didn't mean it. I didn't take it to heart either." His eyebrows furrowed and I watched him shake his head slightly.
"What, no. I meant those words, Adriana."
"But I've already made up my mind. I've decided that I don't want to get involved with you or any other vampire for that matter. What I want, is what I have always wanted since day one. And that is to return back home." I fought back the lump in my throat. I hated lying to him, but this was the only way.
"So we're back to that, hunh." His eyebrows tightened and I bit my bottom lip hesitantly.

"It's the least you can do. If you want me to believe your words, then let me go. If you really loved me and meant it, you would do what's best for me and what I want." I wanted to confirm whether Draven was telling the truth. I had to make sure. An unreadable expression grew on his face and I noticed his eyebrows shooting up for a second before he scoffed in disbelief, clenching his jawline.

"You think this is some sort of joke, Adriana? Do you see me as a fucking joke?" He raised his voice but before I could defend myself, he spoke again. "Is it because of Vincent?" He questioned as I got up.
"Don't start shit about him. He is someone who is better than you in every way! He is a vampire, yet he actually has a heart and doesn't go lashing out at everything and anything that's got two legs. He has treated me so much kinder, sweeter and has always been gentle with me since day one, and unlike you, he fought for me to this day. And the most funniest part is, he is just like you, Draven, a vampire, but he didnt turn into a monster, now did he?!" I let it all out in one go and froze when I saw Draven's expression. He looked hurt. Very hurt, and it caused a pang of guilt pierce through my heart. I shouldn't have. I don't even know why I got all defensive when Draven didn't even say anything about him, but it just came out. I couldn't help it.
"Better than me?," He started, his eyes slightly wavering and I gulped softly as he took a step forward towards me. "Yeah, I'll admit, he is better than me. Not a monster for sure," His voice slightly shook and I noticed the hurt behind those words. "But he wouldn't be half the guy he was today, if he went through the shit I did in the past," I slightly flinched but kept silent. "And I tried to change for you, I am trying to change for you, but you can't see that, can you? No, your thick headed skull can't accept the fact that I can change for you. And I don't fight for you? To this day, I am fighting to keep you alive and happy. I was willing to start a fucking war for you, Adriana. I was willing to give up everything for you, just to see you happy, hell, I even sent off Jason and Danny to protect your parents and to watch over them until I take care of Dexter," He raised his voice, the walls he's been trying so hard to build, breaking down as he kept going. "I stopped drinking human blood for days, to the point where I was starving to death, just so you would not look at me the way you did. I stopped hurting, abusing and using my powers against humans in hopes of you finally seeing the effort I was trying to put into making this work. Into making us work. I stopped everything I was doing, went to seek help from all the brothers and people I knew, and practically begged on my feet to change their opinions about the rules, so that I can officially change it with their approvals. I made deals with people I wanted to have nothing to do with and risked my brothers life to protect you and keep you safe-"
"Draven, I-" I started to grab his arm but he jerked them away roughly.
"No. You're gonna listen," He finally swallowed down a harsh gulp and I noticed his eyes slightly glistening in tears. His jawline clenched once again and I could see the anger and hurt growing on his face again. "Not fighting for you? I rejected Lianna, the one person who loved me despite my flaws and stood by my side since day one. She meant the world to me at some point, but seeing you hurting because of her? I couldn't take it. So I made it clear to her that I wasn't interested. That I wanted you. That I wanted this to work out and for you to be happy,"
"I - you never told me so how-"
"No," He shook his head, his hands balling into a fist in an attempt to stop his body from trembling. "You knew I cared about you. You knew that I was trying to work this out. You saw how worked up I got when you were in trouble or when you're sick or when you're with someone else besides me," he spat out and I froze at his words, my mind going completely blank. "You ignored me, you shut me out whenever you get the chance to and never gave me a chance to change. You never stopped to see my efforts and how far I was willing to go for you. Anyone who's ever stepped inside this mansion even once saw the way I looked at you. They all knew what you meant to me, except you. I loved you Adriana," He breathed one last time, taking a step back as I took one forward. "I really loved you and you didn't even have the heart to look at me, even once. So who's the real heartless monster here, hunh? Me or you?"
"I-I didn't know. I-I don't know what to say..." I bit my bottom lip, tears slightly welling in my eyes as my gaze landed on the floor.
"At the end of the day, you still want nothing to do with us," I heard him finally exhale deeply. "So I'll let you return back to your parents," his words sent my eyes widening in surprise and I snapped my head up to look at him.
"What do you mean...ar-are you saying that-"
"You said that I would let you go free if I really meant those words," He said softly, turning around and I noticed his balled fists slipping inside his pockets again as he straightened his posture. "So I'm letting you go. If going back home is what will make you happy again, then I'll let you go."
"Do you - do you really mean that?" I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Draven didn't just say what I think he said right?
"I said that you are free to leave," his voice was low and hoarse and my pulse raced at his words. "You are no longer my keeper, Adriana."

xxx