CHAPTER 38

Is this a dream or is Draven Cruz really kissing me right now?
I started to squirm and was attempting to pull away but Draven held a firm grip on my neck, his lips pressed firmly on mine. I gripped his shirt and finally pulled away, trying to make a run for it but Draven easily caught my wrist, yanking me towards him before wrapping an arm around my waist securely.
“Draven?!”
“Yes?” Draven turned to look at Lianna and I could hear her scoff in disbelief before she glared at me, her mouth opening and shutting right up every few seconds. I’m guessing she’s having trouble speaking right now.
“Di-did you just-ki-” Lianna stopped, her eyes slightly glistening in tears and I noticed Draven’s grip loosen from my waist as he took a step forward, a hint of guilt suddenly flickering in his eyes as Lianna disappeared from our sight.
“Wh-why did you do that?” I asked but Draven was now staring off into space, an unreadable expression growing on his face before he turned to look at me, his eyes slightly narrowing at me.
“I don’t know, I was just mad-” he stopped before inhaling deeply and I turned away, a lump suddenly forming in my throat.
“If you want to clear up the misunderstanding, then go and tell her that you were just messing around-”
“I wasn’t.” I stopped to look at him but he was now staring ahead with a hard expression on his face.
“What do you me-”
“I’ll handle Lianna, so go upstairs and get some sleep now.”
“Are you going after her?” I barely choked out and Draven froze before staring deep into my eyes, making my heart skip a beat.
“Please go and sleep, doll face…” he whispered, my eyes completely getting drawn inside his as I nodded my head obediently. He compelled me, yet again. The next thing I knew, I was back upstairs and in my room, getting inside the sheets as I closed my eyes forcefully. I didn’t want to sleep but I had to, I had no choice but in a way? I was grateful he had compelled me. If he hadn’t, I wouldn’t be able to sleep tonight at all.

x-x

“So you’ve been avoiding them both the whole day today because of that?” Emily asked and I nodded slowly, hugging myself even tighter. “Don’t you think that it’s about time you mark your territory? If you really want Draven then stop letting her take him away so easily. He is getting easily swayed by her every time and that-”
“I know, Emily…but I can’t keep asking, more like indirectly begging him to choose me over her. It’s his choice, not mine,” I clutched my stomach as it growled hungrily. I hadn’t eaten the whole day and it was already 5 pm, but I was too busy trying to avoid Romeo and Juliet that I had forgotten to eat. Luckily, Draven was too busy to look for me too, or maybe he was still trying to console Lianna after what he did last night.
“That bitch is going to be the death of all of us, I swear to-”
“I’m sorry for asking you to stay here longer. It was selfish of me to.” I cut her off, my gaze landing on my hands.
“Hey, what are friends for?” Emily squeezed my hands and I looked to smile at her. “We’ll figure this out together, okay?” she mumbled, brushing a few strands of hair away from my face and I nodded. Her hand slightly rested on my forehead and I watched her frown slightly before raising a brow in suspicion.
“You are having a small fever, Adriana.”
“Really?” I checked my temperature and sure enough, my forehead was now starting to burn up. “Its fine, it’s probably because I haven’t eaten anything since last night or-”
“I’ll make you something to eat so stay here. You are not going to starve to death, you hear me?!” she suddenly got up, her eyebrows furrowed together before she marched out of the room, leaving me behind.
“Maybe I can go to the pool or something.” I decided, hoping that I could stop thinking about last night but it was a lot harder than it seemed. Why is Draven acting like this? One minute, he makes it seem like he actually wants to be with me but the next minute, it’s like Lianna is all he has. With a groan, I got out of bed an dragged myself down the staircase, praying no one would notice my presence. But when you live in a mansion full of vampires, such wishes do not exist in the book.
“I can’t have him see me like this…” I breathed, my body suddenly drooping down on the floor but I picked myself up almost immediately. My whole body was now aching and I had no strength to even get up and leave. My eyes suddenly landed on Kevin, who was now walking towards the main door, much to my relief. I was about to turn around but froze when the door opened and in came Draven, causing my heart to drop.
“Hey, how is everything? Did you check up on her?” I heard him ask to Kevin and I was about to turn around and leave when they both turned to look at me, causing my body to stiffen immediately.
“She hasn’t eaten the whole day.” I heard Kevin rat out on me and I could feel my eyes widening as I looked at Draven, who was now narrowing his eyes at me, ready to say something when I spoke.
“He’s lying, I ate after they left and Emily can prove it.” I barely choked out, my vision slightly becoming blurry as I tried to focus on Draven.
“Liar, we’ve been here since 9 am babe, there’s no way you could have sneaked in food without us finding out.” Kevin was definitely out to get me because he knew Draven was the type to get easily ticked off by these small issues and right now, he can’t find out that I hadn’t eaten or the fact that I am sick. I don’t want him to know or get worried about me anymore. It was better to stay away from him than to lead on. Plus, what if he uses my fever as an excuse to kiss me and-
“Are you telling the truth?” Draven cut off my thoughts and even from this distance, I could feel his dangerous aura piercing through my poor, innocent soul.
“Ye-yes! Why would I lie? Plus, why do you have to poke your nose everywhere and see whether I ate or slept or bathed or-”
“Can I make sure you’re telling the truth then?” I froze to look at him, my confidence crumbling down at his words as he took a step forward.
“What?” I choked out, slightly backing away as he narrowed his eyes in suspicion. “Don’t come any closer!” I suddenly blabbered when he took another step forward and I watched his eyes widen as Kevin let out a chuckle. Without warning, I turned and started running, my trembling knees almost giving away as I took off. I could hear Draven calling out my name and just as I entered the dining room, a figure appeared in front of me, causing me to gasp and take several steps back.
“Seriously? You really had to waste your breath trying to outrun me?” I brushed away his remark and took deep breaths, trying to even my heartbeats but it was no use. “Are you okay?”
“I’m fine-” I finally breathed, taking another step back as Draven took one forward.
“What’s going on with you?” he frowned and I shook my head, trying to make it seem normal but my head was starting to hurt now too.
“Don’t!” I snapped when I noticed Draven walking up to me and he stopped for a second before bolting up to me. “Don’t come any closer, I mean it, Draven-”
“And why not?” he grabbed my wrists and I gasped, looking up to meet his piercing gaze before quickly lowering my eyelashes. “You’re lying to me about something, what-” he stopped to squeeze my hands and I watched him visibly flinch a little before boring his eyes into mine again.
“Wh-what?”
“Did you eat?” he asked softly and inhaled deeply before nodding, trying to hide my annoyance.
“Then why are you burning up right now?”
“I’m not, I am just tired.” I breathed, pushing past him but he stepped in front of me again and this time, I looked up at him with plead.
“You’re not-”
“Don’t do this,” I breathed, my heart aching at my own words that held a lot more meaning than I showed it to be. “Don’t act like you care.” And with that, I jogged past him and ran up to my room, praying he wasn’t following me and luckily he didn’t.