Chapter 32

"We're celebrating Katelyn Dawson's life today, and mourning her loss. Katelyn was a friend; a member of the Chicago family. She was one of the best surgeons there is in this country. She was a mom and a wife. She's up in Heaven with the angels and God."

Antonio sits alone in his kitchen as people take up space in his living room. He's not sure where his children are, he's not sure where anyone really is. All Antonio can think about is his wife, his dead wife. She would've hated this - people crying over her in her own house. She was always so radiant and positive, the light in her was contagious. Everywhere she went she made people happy.

"Antonio, I'm so sorry about your wife." He glances at the director of the police smiling slightly. Everyone that lives in Illinois seems to be here today, he's not even sure if half of the people knew Kate.

"Thanks" He tells the older man.

Hank rests a heavy hand on his second in command's shoulder. "Luke and Camilla needs their dad right now, you know? Cam is so small, she's not really sure where her mom is. They're out back at the swings with Choi."

Antonio shakes his head, "I-I can't right now."

"Antonio"

"I can't spend time with them. I-I can't pretend everything's fine when it's not. I-I can't pretend to want to see them when their mom - the love of my life - is dead."

Hank sighs, "When my wife died, I also kept Justin at arms length, and that hurt our relationship. I lost my son long before he died. Don't let it happen to your children - they're the only things you have left of Kate."

**

"Hey sleepy head"

"Hey sleepy head"

"Antonio-"

"Hey baby, wake up."

Antonio wakes up in a pool of sweat and tears. His dark brown eyes adjusts to the light and soon he's staring at

Wait

He's staring at Kate's face.

""I-is this a dream? Am I dreaming of you?"

She giggles, "Well I'd certainly hope you dream of me every once in a while, but no. This is real life. You can pinch yourself if you're doubting it."

Antonio frowns as his shaking hands find her face. "Y-you're alive? You didn't die?"

Kate's smile softens a bit, "no. For a moment there it was touch and go, but Choi and Rhodes are miracle workers."

"I was so sure you died. You crashed after Cami sung, and then they told me your organs failed."

Kate pulls him on the hospital bed and rests her head on his chest, "That was a nightmare. You fell asleep right after chasing everyone out of the room after Cam's song. I'm sorry you had a nightmare baby."

"Mommy I sing to you to make you feel better like you always sing to us when we're sick"

"That'd be nice baby"

Turn the light off

Go to bed

Tell me all about the day you had

Lay beside me

It's time to rest

You can close your eyes you've done your best

Let me be your sanctuary

Let me be your safe place to fall

I can take away your worries

The refuge from it all

All this time

 We have together Is our shelter from the rain.

 I will share the weight you carry

 Let me be your sanctuary.

We have weathered Through the storms

 Taking comfort in each other's arms.

When the dark clouds come again I will lift you up and take you in.

Let me be your sanctuary

Let me be your safe place to fall

 I can take away your worries

The refuge from it all.

  All this time We have together Is our shelter from the rain.

 I will share the weight you carry

 Let me be your sanctuary.

 I will share this weight you carry

 Let me be your sanctuary.

"Aw Cami, that was beautiful."  Kate beams. She pulls her daughter in a hug. "Thank you, mommy feels so much better now."

Camilla grins and kisses her mom on the cheek. "I love you mommy"

"I love you more sweetie. Where's my boy?"

Luke walks up to her, timidly. "What's wrong baby boy?"

Luke's eyes water and his lips tremble, "You can't die mommy, please don't die"

Kate hugs him, "Mommy's not going anywhere. I promise you." She pulls Camilla in her arms as well. "I'm never leaving my family."

Antonio clears his throat, "Can you guys give us a minute?"

Erin's the first one to nod, "Of course. We'll be outside. We love you Kate"

The group echoes 'love you' to Kate and soon leaves the room. The children lie down next to Kate and Antonio sits by her head.
"I'm so glad you're okay baby."

"I love you Antonio"

"I love you too."

He kisses her again and then rests his head on her stomach. "I love you so much"

**

"You didn't die?"

Kate smiles, "No baby. They saved me."

"So I don't have to unplug your machines or host a funeral?"

Kate kisses his head, "No baby. Our agreement was that we'd both die at the age of 99 warm in our beds. Remember? I'm not leaving you sooner."

He smiles, finally assured. "I'm holding you to that."

Guess who's back???

Yay!

For You, A PromiseOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara