XXII. none but the lonely heart, op. 6, no.6 by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Eddy Chen was convinced that his girlfriend of four years is his soulmate. The basis of soulmates is when your beloved soulmate dyes their hair, their hair color will be your eye color until they get it changed again. When his girlfriend and him gets golden caramel highlights, both their eye colors didn't change. However, Brett Yang's eyes have golden specks in them. The said Brett Yang is single. Somehow, Eddy knows that Brett is his soulmate. He couldn't accept it at the start, but when an accidental kiss happened, Eddy found that he can't get enough of the older man. Soulmate au.

warnings: expletives, angsty on the beginning, but pure fluff

Eddy's POV

I am most definitely sure that my girlfriend, Toni, was my soulmate. I mean, it made sense. We've been together for four years and our eye colors have stayed black, our natural hair colors. This is simply how you were taught to look for your soulmate. Their hair color will be the color of your irises.

It's quite beautiful, actually.

That's why me and Toni decided to get golden caramel highlights on their hair so our eye colors could match. We both liked the idea of having a touch of gold in our eyes. We were now waiting for each other to be finished so we could look at each other's eyes.

I was the first one to be finished because my hair was shorter than hers. I closed my eyes, not wanting to ruin the surprise. When Toni was done, we both sat in front of each other. I'm so nervous, what if it doesn't suit me? We held each other's hands and did a countdown.

Three.

Two.

One.

We both opened our eyes and became speechless. Her eyes were a different color.

"Toni, you're eyes. They're silver and black." I said, voice shaking a little as I was freaking out.

"Eddy, yours too. They're just black. The color hasn't changed at all." Toni said, sharing the same tone of voice as me.

We both looked at the mirror and saw it for ourselves.

"Eddy, we, we aren't soulmates..." Toni said, shocked.

"We ar-aren't. I really thought we were." I said with disappointment.

"It's okay, Eddy. Let's focus on finding our soulmates first." Toni said reassuringly, trying to calm us down.

"You don't have to look, he's there." I said, pointing at the man who had golden specks in his eyes with the silver and black hair.

The man was about to approach Toni. I whispered to her ear, telling her that we will talk later. I have to settle it with my own first. I walked around the mall and didn't look at people. I just don't know what to do. I should call Brett and tell him about it.

phone call

*note: Brett's in italics and Eddy's is underlined.

"Brett, can I come over? I have to tell you something."

"Yeah, I'm at home, stop by anytime."

"I'll be there in five. Thank you, man."

end of phone call

I arrived at Brett's house and knocked frantically. He opened the door and I tackled Brett into a hug. The house was a bit dim but I didn't care. I started crying, feeling all the emotions that I couldn't express with words flow freely. He hugged me tightly and asked me to tell him about it.