XXV. scenes historiques ii, op. 66, ii. the love song by Jean Sibelius

Eddy Chen and Brett Yang are bidding their farewell because Eddy is about to get married. With no phones nor anything, they dance to the silence of the darkness. This is definitely their last dance as lovers.

warnings: expletives, little angst but mostly fluff

Third Person POV

Both men knew that somewhere along the way, they'd have to say goodbye to the relationship they created. It's not that they don't love each other anymore. Their love is a time bomb, it's only until a certain period of time. Only because Eddy Chen is arranged to be married to his mom's family friend.

Eddy wanted to disagree, he really did. He wanted to run away, leave Brisbane and continue a new life with Brett where they could get married. Eddy just wanted to be with Brett. Brett just wanted to be with Eddy. It's all so easy and simple, but sadly, both of them chose to not disappoint their parents even more.

Both didn't have anything to say. Eddy was getting married tomorrow and Brett will be there. He's the best man, and even though it's just a title for the wedding, Eddy knows that Brett is the best man. Brett wouldn't be able to do anything but watch the love of his life get married to another.

It hurts. Nothing could fully express how painful and betrayed by the world they both felt. Instead of dwelling on it, they decided to bid each other farewell. Not permanently, just to say goodbye to themselves as lovers. This is definitely their last night as lovers so they'll do anything to make it the happiest night they have together. Even if they're setting each other free.

So, there they were. In the backyard of Eddy's apartment that will soon be left. It's not only a farewell for them as lovers, but also a farewell to all the remnants and the reminders of their love. It was short-lived but both knew it would transcend time.

All the tears were shed last night, while making love for the last time. For tonight, they will be happy. Eddy was holding Brett's hand tightly, as if Brett will be lost. Brett holds on just as tight.

They were in the middle of the backyard. No phones, no distractions, it was midnight and everyone was asleep except them. The only source of light is the dim orange streetlight that's a few feet away from them and the moonlight shining bright on their skin. Eddy's face was illuminated by the street light while Brett's was glowing with the moon.

It was beautiful. If Eddy was a poet, he would write it all down. He would write about Brett's hands, his lips, his eyes, his smile, his hips, the way he sleeps, his sighs, his gentle touch, his sweet taste and everything he loves about Brett. He would write about the way Brett loves him in private, Brett's affections, their conversations, their love.

That would be Eddy's biggest inspiration. His love, the love they've created, and the love that will soon be gone with the wind. That doesn't mean he'll stop loving Brett. That's like asking him to never play music again. It's like asking Eddy to never breathe again.

Eddy holds Brett's cheek, unaware of the older man's thoughts. Brett was just thinking of pieces that will suit their situation. It's definitely not the second movement of Tchaikovsky violin concerto nor the double stops of the Sibelius violin concerto. Even Mahler's adagietto from his fifth symphony would explain what Brett feels.

Is there a piece that properly expresses one's grief towards losing his lover? Is there a piece that captures the love he feels for Eddy? Is there a piece that understands what they're going through? Is there a piece that combines all of this?

A piece that combines Eddy Chen. A piece that only he and his lover would understand. It seems like there's nothing that will be good enough for Eddy. Maybe that's the reason why they would never end up together. Nothing's good enough for Eddy because he deserves the best. Brett would like to think that he's the next best thing for Eddy, but he would be lying to himself.

Brett puts his hand on top of Eddy's. He intertwines their free hands and rests the other on Eddy's waist. Eddy puts his free hand on Brett's shoulder and touches their foreheads together. Brett leads their sways. It wasn't rushed nor too slow, they were just making the best of their time.

Eddy already felt the tears roll down his cheeks but he ignored it. He continues to sway with Brett. Brett feels his tears but does not say anything. Brett wanted to cry too, but he didn't. He knows that if he did, they both wouldn't stop until the sunrise.

Brett doesn't want Eddy to have swollen eyes for his wedding.

The might've never promised each other their tomorrow's but the important thing is they've have their yesterday's and today.

"We'll be braver in the next life. I'll find you again." Brett whispered to Eddy, softly kissing the side of his neck.

"I'm looking forward for our next life. I'll allow you to find me again. I promise." Eddy said as he continues the motion of their sways.

They held each other tight and close. Both couldn't let go even if they wanted to. So they just continue to do so. There they were, the streetlight had been turned off and the moon was coming down. No more tears were shed and they were just smiling at each other.

Slowly, like the way the sun rises, they let their grips from each other loosen. They slowly come apart. The sun beats down on their back, serving as a reminder that they have to part. They both know that everything will be alright. They know that they'll make it out alive in this lifetime.

They just have to wait for the next life to continue their timeless love story.