Chapter Twelve

I woke up in the nest. The comforting smell still lingered in the air but was fading quickly. Pulling the cloak closer to my chest I sit up. The room was completely dark except for a lamp in the corner. True to his word, Carlisle sat in a chair beside the lap reading a book. I feel cold metal around my neck. Looking down I see a gorgeous piece of jewelry nestled on my chest. 

"That was my crest while I lived with the Volturi. I was gifted it on the first year anniversary of my stay." Carlisle spoke, noticing I had woken up. 

Feeling less pain than when I first feel asleep. Now I am just very confused. Who is the Volturi? What is going on with me? I feel if a part of me is missing. It isn't as bad as last night, but it is still prevalent. 

"Vampires?" I asked with a shaking voice. 

Carlisle smiled wearily and made his way over to the chair next to the 'nest'. 

"Sadly yes, I will explain more when our guest arrive. Just know that you are safe and will be well taken care of, no worries." Carlisle softly assured me. 

A knock sounded at the door. Alice popped her head in the door. She glanced at me and grinned. 

"Carlisle, they are pulling up now. Do you want to greet them or should I get Esme and Edward?" 

I start to feel uneasy. Carlisle has been a constant support throughout this ordeal. He was the only person I trusted in this moment. The thought of him leaving me made me cringe. 

Carlisle seeing this, gave me a reassuring look. "Get Esme and Edward. They will understand my absence. Tell Edward to bring them all up at once. The scent is fading rapidly, the sooner they are together the better."

Relaxing back into the cushions, I feel a magnetic like pull. The unease starts to broil back. The pain starts up again.

------------

Edward POV-

Carlisle is still upstairs with Cara when the black Suburbans  pull up. Seven in total pull into the drive way. Looking to the movement in the woods, black cloaks surround the forest line protecting the kings. As the door open to the first black Suburban opens to show a very tired looking Marcus. Trailing Marcus, almost sticking to him like glue; the two other kings stepped out.  

Edward had only seen the kings two times before this, but the difference was so concerning that he gasped. Aro and Caius had once stood tall and proud. The men he saw now cowered and rapped around Marcus. 

Marcus seemed to be the dominate bond now. That was also odd in its self. Edward had only seen Marcus less than six months ago. He had be a shell of a man. The depression of losing his mate had caused him to retreat into himself. The Marcus I saw in front of me was the man of long ago. He stood tall and proud, caring for his new mates. 

It was truly a strange sight to see. "Welcome to our home. I will skip all the pleasantries and bring you up to her." 

Marcus nodded. "Thank you Edward, I think that would be best at the moment."

Emmett shocked, held the door open wide for the attached group in question. The kings all seemed to move in one accord, unwilling to separate from one another. They squeezed through the door and followed me up to the study. 

----------------

The pull in my chest magnified. It felt as if the world stopped as the door opened. The pull in my chest exploded and so many emotions ran through me. My heart strings sung in my chest. The men from the painting stood in the doorway. As soon as our eyes connected a sort of fire was lit. The world froze still. My eyes went to each of the men. 

The raven haired man stood straight from his slumped position and I meet his ruby red eyes. He was shorter than the others, but that didn't take away from heir of authority. The position he was in now didn't fit the one he was originally in the painting. Instead, the once sad-eyed man held all the authority in this moment.  He stood as tall and strong as a tower. His eyes held mine and I felt like I was home. Tearing my eyes from him, I look to the third man. His hair was white as snow. His eyes weren't angry, instead they reflected longing. 

The men, ever so gently; walked over to the massive nest. The brown headed man moved to put the raven haired man in first, then the white haired.  Both men grabbed on to me. All pain that was once burning through me stopped, and was now replaced with comfort and love. 

The brown haired man finally spoke. "Hello little one, so you are the one that made all this occur."