Chapter 4

"Let your heart not be troubled." - John 14:1

LUKE|

I'm such a mess. I don't know what to do anymore. The agony inside of me is getting worse every second and I can't seem to shake it off.

I lost Julia... forever.

All I can do now is hope she'll be happy with my high school best friend.

Despite her cheating on me, I still feel responsible for her and it's killing me.

I breath deep in and stand up from my bed. The doctors released the tubes from my body and told me I should try walking from time to time on, just to regain my balance again.

I've been in physiological therapies and they seem to work for me. I can finally stand up without any help. The car accident sure got my legs messed up for a few days.

As I'm walking past the hallway, I get greeted by strangers who are either Hospital Care Team Members or random patients. I feel bad having to send them fake smiles while they send me genuine ones.

I just can't seem to find courage. Am I ever going to be able to smile like I used to before?...

After exploring the clear hallway, I find my way back to my room. Just when I was about to walk inside, I get held back by a young couple sitting in the waiting room.

"Thank you for even taking time to visit me. I'm sorry for holding you back during your break. " The guy replies with a warm smile on his face as he gently rubbed his thumb around his probably wife or girlfriend's hand.

She shakes her head and equally returns the gesture. "I'm always here for you, silly."

Must be nice having someone who cares for you a lot. When Julia used to care for me and give me my lunch- ...

Wait. That wasn't her.

A slight sting on my chest appears as I recall my memories.

Abigail.

I walk back to my bed and stare at the empty lunch box beside me that used to be filled with sweet meals wrapped in a pink shopping bag. What's worse is I don't know how to reach her as I don't know her number or address.

Why didn't I observe the little things sooner!? Why do I only see it now darn it!?...

It's been 4 days already since she last paid me a visit. 4 days when I last talked to Julia.

Did my words offend Abigail?...

I breath deep in and try to remember our last conversation.

"Talk to me. I'll be glad of help and love to lend you an ear, alright?"

Dammit, Luke. You should've told her.

"I understand, but it's not healthy to keep things to yourself. You might end up suffocating yourself-"

She was right. What did I reply to that again?...

"Don't act like you know me. You know nothing about me!"

Oh right. I messed up.

"I'm sorry. I should go." The worried look on her face... No I didn't want her to go at all!

I want to apologize and go back to how we were. I feel guilty for not appreciating the time and things she gave me. She may be a stranger, but a genuine one who cares about a wicked stranger. And there I am only thinking about Julia...