Chapter 7

"A true friend sticks by you
like family" - Proverbs 18:4

ABIGAIL|

"Are you sure we're not holding you back?" I ask Luke who's preparing my brother's lunch box and stuffs them in his bag.

"I'm all set. I don't have a job, yet remember?" He smiles as I nod with a smile back.

That's right. He couldn't find a job and refused to take our help as he's a prideful man... I wish I can help him somehow.

Today is Asher's bring-your-dad-to-school festival. I hated those a lot when I was younger. I know how it feels like, which is why I don't blame my brother, especially since all his friends bring their dad's to school and show off idols.

Dad never came as he was stuck with the whole company, only rarely has time for us. Sundays is where is free off duty, as he never wants to skip a day for church with us.

I always take a day off when it comes to my brother and today I get to replace mom too as she  has to attend an important seminar.

I can understand how Asher was looking forward to this day, especially since he always wished to have an older brother and understands him.

"Thank you." I mean it with the bottom of my heart and can't have to hold myself back from hugging him.

He doesn't know how bright he has made our day.

He tips his black baseball with a charming smile on his face. " If one shall be grateful, then I should be the one."

Oh... this feeling inside me...

I'm wearing Asher's white pullover with a blue design of their football team paired up with light blue jeans and plain Converse. It's been a while since I've last dressed up this way. I miss the simple look.

"We look like high school students, don't we?" I smile as we walk towards my car.

Luke smiles and opens the door for me.

"Thanks." I smile at his gentleman self.

He takes a seat on the diver's seat as he wanted to drive us to school and I insisted. "You, look like one as you have a youthful look. Me, on the other hand, look like I'm in the wrong place."

He complimented me...

I try to hide my flustered face with an awkward giggle. "I don't think so. Those clothes suit you."

I'm not even lying.

Yes, he looks very mature wih his well structured face and dominant look. The shades of his hat makes him even more intimidating. Even with the same pullover we got from Asher, his thick muscle strings pop out. You can see that he is a grown man indeed. He pulls off any outfit, may it be a simple basic or college look.

He just stares at me with a genuine smile on his strict face. It makes me nervous somehow and happy.

Has his lips always been this soft and red? I wonder...

If only I could just touch his face and pull it closer to mine-

WAIT WHAT!?

"Ehem." We hear Asher clear his throat behind us. "I hate to break you two, but I'd like to arrive on time."

Thank Goodness! I almost sinned if it weren't him!

I feel my face heating up and hastily avoid his gaze. I feel it on me for a while,
before he turns to look at my brother.