Chapter 10

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud."
- 1 Corinthians 13:4

LUKE|

Hayes Dunn, huh.

I'm not going to say that I hate him, I just don't like the way he steps into her comfort zone.

No way they are just colleagues!

Or atleast that's what he describes it.

I'm a man and I know what he's up to.

Why am I so upset about that?

He has a good work, knows how to manage things professionally and knows how to treat a woman. He's a perfect example of a gentleman. Someone reliable.

Someone suited for her.

It's not like we were a match anyways. She's innocent and pure.

I'm a monster, who's seen it and done it all.

If she ever felt like wanting to start a relationship with him, I shouldn't interfere.

Unlike me, he stands his ground as a man and is much better off in life than I am.

He has a degree, a fix job, money and is perfectly healthy.

I didn't even finish college!

Sigh.

"You don't look very well, pal." Jorge noticed as he leaned closer.

Crap. I forgot that im at work. I shouldn't be spacing out.

"I'm good." I shake the thoughts and feelings away as I continue carrying the hay and straw to the barn.

Jorge knows me too well, no matter how good I hide my feelings from him. As I've said he's like a brother to me.

"You're furious for some reason. I can tell." He plumps the sack beside me as I feed the horses.
My attention wanders to the mysterious dark horse.

What a beautiful stallion.

The stallion looks me straight in the eyes, before slowly munching on the hay. It looks fascinating.

"Luke. I know you're ignoring me but I'm here to listen. I'm guessing what was her name again? April? Ally? Adrianna?-"

He's doing this on purpose isn't he?

"Abigail." I murmur, feeling a little sting in my chest as I hear myself say her name.

"Right." He grins. "Did you two break up?"

"We weren't together in the first place." I remind him.

"Then, she's taken?" He guesses.

I mean he is not wrong. She could be and is hiding it from me. Not like I should care now should I?

"I don't know."

He doesn't stop and keeps a smirk on his lips. "Ah, I think I know what is up."

"What?"

"You're stuck in a one-sided love situation."

Damn he's good.

"And if so?" I don't even dodge it and walk past him, after gently stroking the stallions head.