Chapter 15

"Then the Lord said, 'It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make a helper fit for him.' "- Genesis 2:18

LUKE|

It's been months since I've finally recovered from my past. Everything suddenly shines clear and makes me want to move on with life.

It's like I've been given a second chance. From Mondays to Wednesdays I study business management in order to catch up with the other diplomatic workers and with the help of Abigail during the weekends, I learned a lot. I love the way she explains new things to me with interest in her eyes.

She's smart and beautiful, not good for my heart at all.

On Thursdays and Fridays I work with Jorge in his uncle's, Mr. Vasquez, farm as they grew to me like a family.
I had to cancel my other part- time jobs though.

"How long are you gonna leave the work to me, pal?" I joke as I watch Jorge walk slowly towards me.

He had break time 5 minutes ago, but it seemed like it wasn't enough by the devasted look on his face. My smile drops as he quietly stands beside me.

Something's up...

"You good?"

He fakes a smile as he shakes his head. "Y-Yeah. I was just spacing out."

"You're terrible at lying, Sergeant. If I were an enemy interrogating you about your service, you'd be dead now." I remark and he cracks a hilarious laughter, causing me to join.

"You're right." He sighs as he takes out a letter from his jump suit, carefully placing it between us. His face tightens as he avoids eye contact. "I didn't know how to tell you, but Victor was here."

That is why.

I feel a sudden slight sting on my chest and breath deep in. "Thanks. I appreciate your thought and caring heart, but you didn't have to keep it to yourself. We're brothers, aren't we?"

He sends me a sad smile. "That is why I hesitated. I didn't want you to go through that phase again."

Jorge has always been the big brother we never had. He always thought ahead and always placed smiles on our faces. I will be forever thankful for that and his loyal heart.

I pat his broad back as we lean on the fence. "I moved on, haven't I?"

He nods. "I know that. Victor invited us to their wedding. I struggled hard not throwing a punch into his damn face-"

I laugh as I spot his hands forming fists. "Hey, he's still Victor. The boy we grew up with."

"A hell of a brat." Jorge adds. "He looked ashamed and whispered, not looking into my eyes. I guess he still fears us both."

Understandable. Victor, you really had the guts to pull up here. But I know that it was Julia's please...

I sigh as I take the letter. It had a postcard in it with Victor's and Julia's picture in it.

Her beautiful auburn hair has grown suiting her light eyes. The smile she's wearing, let's me know that she's alright without me around. It's as if she is staring at me right now.

It still hurts and I'm not going to deny the fact that I still care for her.

I loved her afterall.

I try not to clench the invitation and stuff it into my jacket as I stare at the orange sky.

"They are going to get married this Friday." I hear Jorge talk. "Sorry for being so selfish. I didn't tell you sooner and for not giving you enough time to think about it. I just... I don't know."