Chapter 5

"Encourage each other and build each other up."
- 1 Thessalonians 5:11

ABIGAIL|

I'm glad I catched up right on time before he went inside the cab. As silly as it may sound like, Luke grew to me. He may be a stranger but someone I want to get closer with.

Whenever I'm around him I feel safe. He gives off a feeling as if he doesn't judge me and would always be there for me.

We're currently on our way to my home. He's sitting beside me and has been silently staring out at the road for the past 10 minutes.

I wonder what is going on in his mind?

Of course he might be weirded out sitting next to a stranger and suddenly that stranger telling him to move in her home!

Oh Abigail...

"We're almost here." I inform him as I curve the car to the left side. I don't know why but I try to find ways to push the silence away.

He nods and keeps his eyes on the road. "About last time."

Wait he's actually talking about it?

"Yes?" I try to suppress my curiosity in my voice.

He breath deep in and runs his finger through his buzz cut. I can see the sorrow inside his dark eyes. It makes me want to hug him somehow.

"I divorced my fiancée that day."   He pauses for a while. "I caught her cheating with a close friend on my way back home from the military... the day of my accident."

I clench my fingers on the steering wheel as I gulp hard. "But why?"

"God knows why." He pauses again. "She thought I died in the battlefield and didn't know how to move on... I can't really blame her either."

His fiancée with his close friend? It must have been very hard for him. All this time he must have suffered hard on his own.

"I didn't know." I quietly mumble not knowing how to face him. "I'm so sorry, I-I should've known-"

"Don't apologize." He shakes his head and sends me a sad smile. "I'm alright."

Is he joking right now?

How can someone force a smile after all what happened?

It's sad.

It makes me very sad...

"You clearly aren't." I stare into his shocked face expression. I didn't notice it sooner, until he suddenly placed his hand to my cheek and gently rubs his thumb on my wet skin.

"Hey." His voice sounds so gently and yet so silent, it's calming in a way.

Am I crying!?

I awkwardly laugh and turn away from him, rubbing my teary eyes. "It's just an allergy."

"What?"

Yeah, I don't know either.

"A-A dust mite allergy a-and the heat in here! Goodness it makes me sweat and my eyes really teary-" I try to save myself as I roll open my window, playing it cool.

He thankfully doesn't question my weirdness and laughs. "An allergy you say, huh? Right."

I can't help it but join his contagious laughter.

It brightens the once so shallow mood...

~•~•~•~

We arrive my family's beige mansion. Thanks to the blessings we've received in our lives, my parents were able to build us an empire. Well atleast that's how I see it.