5: Encounter

**1 week time jump**

I had just finished my first mission. Magna, Asta, and I were asked to provide some security for royals. It was a shitty mission, but I guess I couldn't expect to just be saving the world all the times.

"You're a natural!" Magna yelled as we approached the hideout.

"Yea, Y/n! You're amazing!! Those royals loved you!" Asta agreed.

"Mmm, they just like nice things to look at." I countered.

"Y/n..." Asta said as he put his hand on my shoulder. "You're so much more than just how you look."

I sighed, not really believing him.

My whole life I've only been acknowledged as a pretty face or a powerful weapon. Dehumanizing would be an understatement.

I just smiled at him. Not really having the energy to respond.

It was late. Really late when we finally got back. For the first time since I had been here, the hideout was quiet.

Asta and Magna went straight to bed, but I just wasn't that tired, so I decided to look around. Vanessa and Charmy were passed out in the great room, so I tiptoed around them quietly, heading for the stairs.

I was roaming the halls when I passed by the library and decided to stop in. I was amazed at the collection.

I had always loved to read, but never really had the chance to do much of it. When you roam around you have to travel lightly, and books add up quickly.

I picked up a small book on the history of the Black Bulls, and sat on the couch.

I really should learn about the robe I wear and what it represents.

As I started into the first chapter, the door slowly opened, and Yami walked in. "I thought I saw a light in here," he said softly as he took a seat in the arm chair.

I smiled as I watched him. "You like to read?" he asked.

"I do," I nodded. "I'm excited we have such a big collection."

"What'd you choose to start with?"

I held up the front of the book.

"History of the Bulls, huh? Kinda boring," he smirked.

"Thought I should know about who and what I represent now," I shrugged.

"You care a lot, don't you?"

I sighed, "Maybe a little too much... I just want to make everyone here proud. Pull my weight. I don't know, change the world or something." I teased.

He laughed lightly, "Well, if anyone's capable, it's you. I don't know the last time I met someone with such raw, natural power and skill."

"It's cute you think it's raw and natural.. If you knew how hard I've trained, and what I've been through because of this magic, it really wouldn't be that impressive."

"Why don't you tell me what you've been through?" he asked.

"You're a good captain, but you don't need to pretend."

I hadn't forgotten how Yami had started to completely ignore me the few days before my mission. How he called me a flirt and said he didn't care about how I felt towards the other guys.

Plus, the day before I left, I know Charlotte came to see him.

Not that I was jealous, but like, her? Really?