12: Take it Slow

By the time the banquet finally ended, it was late, so we decided to stay at the capital's castle for the night. I was led to one of the many empty rooms and given a pair of clothing to sleep in.

I threw on the shirt and shorts and got ready for bed. I was snuggled under the covers when there was a knock at my door.

Ugh, what the hell. I just want to sleep... No way I'm getting up for whoever this is.

"Come in!" I called, and Yami walked through the door.

I smiled, "It's you."

"Yea, and what if it hadn't been? You were really just calling someone in while being half asleep?"

"Mm, I'm not too worried about it."

He laughed softly as he shut the door, puffing on a cigarette.

He was about to sit in a chair across the room when I called over to him, "Why are you all the way over there?"

I scooted over to the far side of the bed so he could sit next to me. He sat on the bed, leaning his back against the headboard and stretching out his legs.

He took a long drag of his cigarette before looking at me. He held his eyes on mine but the beauty of those grey orbs was just too much. I looked away and inched closer to him, resting my head on his lap.

I heard him release a soft sigh as he began to stoke my hair.

"I'm proud of you, you know?" He said softly.

"Mm? And why's that?" I asked with my eyes closed, enjoying his touch. I had wrapped my arm around his legs and was embracing his warmth.

"Well, for starters, your mission. But also, you flew past the Junior Class ranks faster than anyone has in decades," he chuckled softly. "You're kind of a freak, you know that?"

I picked up my head to look at him. "Oh, you have no idea," I teased.

He laughed and shook his head as he took another drag while I lightly laid my head back down.

"Hey," I started. "How do you know about the mission?"

"Well, the Wizard King told us everything in grave detail. He's quite the storyteller."

"Ok, but how does he know? No one was there but us..."

"Like I know? The guy has always just known things. It's best to not question it."

I nodded. Geez, guess I'll never know the secrets of the Wizard King. How annoying.

"But from what we heard, you kicked some serious ass. Plus, saved multiple lives."

"Mmm," I responded lazily.

"Wish I could've seen you. Apparently, your Blood Magic is really somethin else."

I sat up and leaned against the headboard next to him.

"You mind?" I asked, motioning to his cigarette.

"Not a all," he smirked while handing it to me. I took a long puff and released the smoke into the air.

I looked over at him while I took another drag and he was staring at me with a grin.

"Yes?" I asked blowing the smoke upwards and passing the cigarette back to him.

"You're just full of surprises, that's all. So, will you show me some of your magic?"

"I'll show you mine if you show me yours."

He laughed at my joke, and I continued, "But seriously, I'd like to see your Dark Magic."

"Well, maybe I'll have to take you on my next mission. Finral's my ride, but you could be my sidekick if you want."

I laughed, "What if I wanted to be your ride!?"

We were both laughing together now, "Y/n, you're too much."

We sat there in silence for a moment.

"I talked to the Wizard King, ya know." he chimed.

"Yea, he told me." I shot him a smile.

"Ugh, did he already talk to you?"

"He did."

"And?"

"And, he said he's happy for us." I shrugged. "He also said I could move to any team if things didn't work out."

He chuckled softly, "That's Julius for ya... Plus, he couldn't quit geeking out about you before the meeting. He's probably worried you'll leave the Knights."

The Wizard King couldn't quit talking about me?...

"It's going to take a lot more than some oversized tree truck to get me to leave the Knights," I teased.

"Hey what?! Me!? Am I the oversized tree trunk!?" he yelled.

I was laughing now, "Yes, Yami. That would be you."

"Alright, I've had enough of you," he groaned which just made me laugh louder.

He was watching me with a wide smile. "I really do love your laugh," he said in a low voice.

I stopped suddenly, and turned my face trying to hide the fact that I was a blushing mess.

"So," he continued, "now that he knows... Are we doing this thing?"

"Oh Yami, you wanting to make it official already?"

He slowly lifted my head and stared into my eyes. His eyes trailed down to my lips before he leaned in and kissed me.

As our kiss deepened, our tongues crashed together desperately. He pulled away slightly to bite my bottom lip.

"Yami," I moaned. He leaned into my neck and kissed my skin sloppily. I got out from under the blanket and straddled myself across his lap.

I wrapped my arms around his neck while he held me around my waist. As I stared into his eyes, I knew that I wanted to share every inch of myself with him.

Slowly, I leaned back into his lips, letting myself feel his warm breath. I slid my tongue into his mouth, tasting his desire. I began to run my fingers through his hair, pulling him closer to me, wanting his tongue to go deeper.

As we came up for breath, I let out a soft moan.

"Fuck, Yami. I want you so badly." With those desperate words, he slowly pulled back.

"I don't want to rush this, Y/n," he whispered. "I don't want to mess this up."

I closed my eyes and rested my forehead against his. "I thought you were supposed to be the impatient one?" I teased in a low voice.

He put his hands on my cheeks and brought my forehead to his lips, leaving a soft kiss. He wrapped me back in his arms and held me tightly.

"Trust me, I want you too," he huffed. "But I just— I just care about you so much."

I smiled softly at his confession. This was a side of Yami I never expected to see.

"Stay with me?" I asked softly.

"Always."

With that, we both got underneath the blankets and I snuggled up to him closely. He lightly rubbed my back as I breathed in his scent. He smelt like teakwood and mahogany with just a hint of cigarette smoke.

I had never felt so safe and protected as I did in his arms. I never wanted him to let go.

"Goodnight, Y/n," he whispered.

"Goodnight, Yami."