27. Sneaking

As he pondered about his family's safety, he was also curious about the situation on the other side which was in the Liu family. It has been a few weeks since he last heard about them. Not that he cared nor he was scared, but he was curious about their reaction after he beheaded those servants they hired to assassinate Li Jie. Don't blame him for being merciless, but as what they have said, 'strike while the iron is hot.'

Imagining their faces full of horrid and fear, an unknown happiness rose up to Li Jie's heart. Being a criminal and a killer in his past times, this phenomenal event was just one of his prosaic hobbies. But now, he needs to be alert. Because here in his new body compared to his previous one seems a bit different. No, not bit, but a whole new different situation.

In his last life, he can kill people without getting emotional. Instead, he was a psycho or a living chucky doll, stabbing people repeatedly using his kitchen knife as he maintained a wide smile on his face. Creepy wasn't it? But compared to his situation now, he couldn't even look at the people he ruthlessly killed. It was as if he was guilty about it. It maybe because he was changed or perhaps he hadn't used to this current body's psychological emotions. This body had a weak heart. That's why, he couldn't tolerate hurting anyone.

But he and this owner's body were different. It was like oil and water, a completely opposite to each other. One is a pure white lotus, and the other was a ruthless beast. And even if he still got his normal strength from his previous life, with his weak heart it was still useless. That's why, he picked up a pitiful servant who was tasked to assassinate him that night, Li Wei. With his servant, he can do as he pleases as long as the other won't betray him. The servant insisted to Li Jie dragged him out of that nasty den.

Sitting in a lotus position, he called his servant to his room. And a few minutes passed and his obedient servant slash disciple had come into his room. Li Wei entered room and and kowtowed him. Seeing Li Wei kneeling in front of him, Li Jie's mouth twitched and sighed helplessly. Yes, Li Wei was his servant. Howbeit he also acknowledged him as his younger brother and an obedient student. It's just that, this kid had a habit of kneeling others. Well, for Li Wei, it was normal since he grew up to be a servant, even if he wanted to. Except being with Li Jie of course.

"Did you practice what I taught you?" Li Jie evaluated as he remained to close his eyes.

"Yes Master." Li Wei said as he kept looking at the floor. Somehow, Li Jie felt irritated as he looked at him.

"Do you think you can sneak into the Liu manor tonight?" Li Jie asked again and opened his eyes. Li Wei nodded vigorously with a hint of seriousness plastered on his face. After all, Li Wei originally worked in the nasty place. He believed that his servant can do what he wants to do.

"Tonight, I want you to sneak in the Liu manor. Search all the critters and see if you discover something fishy. Well, that minister wouldn't calm down if he never gets what he wants. If there's something interesting, report it to me. Also, be sure to be careful." Li Jie tasked him a risky job this coming night and to his surprise, Li Wei doesn't even refute. Li Wei nodded modestly and went to his room. He still needs to prepare and wouldn't proceed to his mission empty-handed.

Earlier before, Li Jie overheard the servants talking about the capital. As what the maids have said, the situation near the border became hectic. The people were dying from hunger, other families turned penniless, and the increase of bandit attacks doubled its forces. If left abandoned, the nation may fall as well as the palace. This was also the reason why Delun was stuck in his office from dawn till dusk. And even if Li Jie didn't study much in history, he surely knows what the minister steward's position in the palace. As for the finance area of the palace, that is obviously his job.