Prologue

Peter

A shiver snaked up my spine. My fist involuntarily tightened around my new spear, knife slipping as I sharpened the stone. The wood snapped. Looking up, I had the strange sensation that something wasn't right.

"What is it?" Felix asked, clearly noting my expression.

I stayed silent. My mind was foggy. Whatever had just happened had affected me. Something was happening on the island. My island. "Pan, what's wrong?"

"Someone's here."

"What do you mean?" I rolled my eyes towards Felix. My face clearly showing disgust at his apparent lack of common sense.

"Exactly what I said. Someone is here...without my permission."

"No one can arrive without your permission Pan."

"Yes, believe it or not, I was aware of that, Felix." I snapped.

He fell silent, waiting for me to speak. To forgive him. I waved my hand, and he sighed heavily. I turned my gaze away again at that point. Staring into the forest surrounding the camp, I could hear the boys shouting and running. I needed silence. I needed to hear. "Boys!" I shouted into the forest, footfalls closing in as a response.

They gathered around me, my band of the lost.

"Someone is here, on our island. I don't know who they are, or where they are, but they must be found. They could threaten our home. Do we want that?"

"No!"

"When will we give up finding them?"

"Never!"

"Good. Now let me listen." The camp was silent.

Nothing. I could hear nothing. I could listen to any corner of this island; I could sense a presence but hear nothing. I was going insane. There was life out there, hiding from me. Then he arrived.

"Shadow! What the bloody hell is going on!" I demanded.

My dark companion flew toward me and whispered in the voice only I could hear. He had bought me a new lost, as I had requested of him. But the lost got away. The boy was hiding in my forest. What stumped me was how I had not sensed Shadow's presence when he returned, only the presence of an unknown.

"Boys, a new brother is hiding from us!" The boys erupted into a frenzy, ready to hunt.

"Seekers! You look first, bring him to me." The other boys voiced their anger at not being allowed to join in the fun.

I raised my eyebrow at my men. "The rest of you have a problem with that?" I shouted.

Silence fell again. "Don't worry, boys, should the seekers take more than a week? Well...I'll send the rest of you!" Sound erupted again as the boys celebrated. "Now go! Find me this new lost boy."