Chapter 7

Elaine

The room was small and cosy. It was strange yet comforting, furnished with a bed, side table, closet, desk, and a single window. The window was narrow and ran along the wall opposite the door, set at the point where the wall touched the ceiling, making it high enough so that no one could see in. Above the bed hung a silk canopy clearly handmade though I had no idea where the fabric came from. The canopy had tiny glowing lights above it, shining through the material, making the light feel soft and whimsical. A small set of shelves stood on the desk filled with books. I ran my hands along the spines. I could tell the books were old, but they were pristine. Time worked differently in Neverland.

I opened the closet and took in the clothes within. Clearly feminine, and they seemed to be perfectly my size. Throwing off my muddy, ripped nightdress, I fished out a pair of brown cargo pants, a grey tank top that seemed to hug every curve and some brown leather boots which came up above my ankles. They were like nothing I would have worn back home. I tucked the pants into the boots and folded my nightdress. Placing it into the closet dispite its sorry state. I put my weapons belt back on, which Pan clearly left in my room for me after it had been confiscated and looked at myself in the mirror on the inside of the closet door. I was battered and bruised, and I would definitely have a number of scars. Dried blood still crusted my skin in spots and my eyes were blood shot as though I hadn't slept for days.

I hunted for something I could use to fix the mess that was my hair. Opening the top draw in my closet to find a hairbrush and ribbons to tie my hair up. I worked the knots out of my hair in small sections returning it to something close to its regular texture. If I wanted it to be silky again, I would need to figure out a way to wash it. I pulled my hair back into a tight braid securing it with a green ribbon. The colour reminded me of Pan. I shook my head, get him out of your head, I thought to myself. I breathed deeply through my nose and out through my mouth.

I opened the door and looked out into the living room of the cabin. Pan was reading in a red armchair in a corner, the walls on either side covered in two large bookshelves. A glowing lamp was lit above him casting him in a beautiful golden light. He looked up and saw me watching him. He smirked and I shot my eyes towards my feet.

"The clothes fit I see. Good."

"You knew they would fit."

"Believe it or not, Darling," he chuckled, the smooth sound like a dangerous caress.

"I didn't get those clothes specifically for you." he grinned.

"They're Wendy's." I realised with a sigh.

"Sorry to make you feel less specially love." He laughed.

My grip tightened on the hilt of my sword, "Are you planning on using that Darling?"

"Wouldn't dream of it." I replied sweet venom dripping through my tone.

He stood dropping his book on the chair. I watched his movements with an unwilling curiosity.

"I'm sure. Come on now I'll give you the grand tour." Pan moved towards the door and opened it wide inviting me to walk through.

I did so apprehensively, watching him as I passed.

"Do you distrust me so?" He feigned being hurt.

I shook my head instinctively.

"Perhaps you should." He grinned.

I was furious at having been tricked into admitting that he intrigued me, he was too smooth for his own good, or perhaps too smooth for mine.

Pan showed me the large room where the boys ate and all the tents where they slept, most where so old that they had fused with the nature around them making them permanent pieces of architecture. The camp was centred around the firepit Pan had threatened me with only days before, morbidly I could still see my blood stains in the dirt.

"You put up a good fight that day." Pan said, I knew he was reading my thoughts.

"And then you played dirty. Stay out of my head." I picked up the pace to put distance between us, but Pan was too quick.

Suddenly he was in front of me, his hands like iron holding me in place.

"I don't play dirty because cheaters never win. And I'll be in your head whenever I damn well please." He growled.

I didn't know whether to be furious or terrified. He stood stone still for a minute, his chest rising and falling in a mesmerising rhythm. He pulled two short strands of my hair out of my braid, so they framed my face.

"That's better." He said nothing more before walking onwards. "The island is vast, as I'm sure you know. That's why the lost boys took so long to find you. How did you hide for so long?"

"The Never-bird nest, I was sure you would find me faster than you did."

"You found the Never-bird nest?"

"Yes, just as you did when you killed the bird."

"I never found the nest, we lured it into the open to slay it."

"Oh...well when I heard the story, I just assumed you had."

"What story?"

"Aunt Wendy wrote about many of your adventures, I grew up on the stories."

"Really, is that why you wanted to come to Neverland?"

"W-What I didn't want to come to Neverland. I was just trying to save my cousins." I spluttered.

He raised an eyebrow and smirked, "I'm sure the was the only reason."

"It was." I replied defensively.

Suddenly Pan was right behind me, I could feel his warmth spread across my skin, his breath caress my ear.

"Really, because I think you wanted Shadow to take you. I think you wanted to see me for yourself." My breath caught in my throat.

"Do I make you nervous Elaine?" he chuckled, his mouth still a hairsbreadth from my ear.

"Don't flatter yourself." I whispered through gritted teeth.

"It's my Island...I'll do anything I please." He whispered back.

I swallowed dryly. Before I could think his hand was around my waist and he was spinning me to face him, pressing my body against his own. He hooked a finger under my chin lifting it so that I would have no choice but look at him. Angling his head to the side he contemplated me as though I was a rare oddity. He lent in and kissed me slowly, finger still under my chin. That touch pulled me in desperate for more. More of this, more of him. I closed my eyes softly leaning into him further. He was the one to break the kiss, his absence leaving me cold.

"Anything." He whispered, his usual smirk plastered on his face.

I tried to turn my head away, but he wouldn't release me.

"Elaine don't." He commanded.

I listened to him, gazing into those hypnotic green eyes, full of secrets and mischief. Finally, he let go.

"Let's continue then." And I had no choice but to follow him.