Chapter 16

Elaine

I was warm, the bed beneath me soft. I knew that I wasn't alone. I opened my eyes ever so slightly to see Pan laying across from me. I smiled, this time not alarmed that I had slept in his bed. His arm lay under my neck. I turned over and slid closer so that my back was pressed against Pan's chest, my head resting in the dip of his shoulder. I felt his other arm move to wrap around my waist. I burrowed deep under the covers and felt safe. I felt safe with Pan. I remembered what I told Daniel, but I couldn't bring myself to push Pan away. I felt better with him close. I felt like I was protected. I knew Pan was dangerous but at this point I also knew what Wendy meant about growing to love this place. We lay quietly together for a little while longer before there was a knock at Pan's bedroom door. Felix, I thought to myself. I wouldn't be embarrassed today if Felix saw me here. He could think what he liked. Pan quietly extracted myself and moved towards the door. I lay in my same position, still half asleep.

"Felix." I heard Pan mumble as he opened the door.

I felt Felix staring at me.

"If you have something to say Felix, get it over with." I sighed, my voice deeper and gruff from sleep.

"You heard the girl, Felix." Pan chuckled.

Felix whispered something to Pan and left. Pan closed the door and walked back to the bed. He sat next to me, placing a hand on my waist.

"We should get ready for breakfast." He whispered.

"But why when I could sleep all day."

"I'm sure you could but I have an Island to run." I felt Pan smile as he uttered those last words.

I pulled back the covers and rolled out of bed. I walked slowly out of Pan's room and into my own. I pulled on my usual outfit and favourite boots. I didn't put my hair in a braid today. Instead, I pushed my hair out of my face using a green bandana that I hadn't seen before. Pan was ready when I emerged, and we walked to breakfast together. I collected my food and went to sit in my usual spot. Pan raised an eyebrow, questioning my decision.

"You were gone for days, do you think I really wouldn't make friends?" I teased. Pan smirked.

"Well may I request that you choose to sit with me at dinner times." I nodded silently promising to always sit with him for one meal of the day. I sat next to Daniel with Joseph on my other side.

"Good morning." Daniel smiled.

"Morning." I said quietly squeezing his hand under the table.

"Morning boys." I said louder addressing the others around us.

Breakfast was normal as the boys talked and ate, with me giving input wherever I could. Many times, my eyes wandered down the table to Pan. He was eating his usually apple, speaking quietly with Felix...and watching me. I hadn't realised it, but Daniel's hand was resting tensely on my thigh. I was about to ask what was wrong when I followed his eyeline leading back to Pan who had turned to quietly converse with another boy...Alex maybe. I decided to distract myself.

"So, Joseph, you think we could do some hand-to-hand training again today?"

"What so I can beat you again?"

"Oh, ha-ha. You're dreaming" I joked.

"And you're on." We all finished our food and left. Just as we moved to leave, the room was illuminated in harsh white light, a crash of thunder following close behind. I looked out the door to see sheets of rain pelting the ground. It was raining for the first time since I arrived. Some of the lost boys had already run outside, howling in the rain.