Chapter 28

Elaine

The rest of the week passed in the usual routine which seemed so foreign to me having been in Neverland. I had to re-adjust to a groove which I hadn't thought twice about before. School, homework, training, clubs, friends. It almost became a mantra that I would repeat over and over in my head.

I settled into my first period English class on Friday. I sat in my normal spot next to Kate, right on the aisle that separated the girls' side of the room from the boys'. I didn't mind sitting there as the desk next to me on the boys' side was always empty. The class was abuzz with excitement when I walked in. After settling in I leaned over to Marcus, the boy who sat in the row behind me on the boy's side.

"New student." He whispered when I asked.

I shook my head, I didn't understand the excitement about new students. They would fade into the general existence of the school in a week or so, why make such a fuss? I focussed on my book, writing in the date for the days lesson when our professor Ms Bail addressed the class.

"Class this is our new student." I could tell that she was whispering for him to introduce himself.

"Hi I'm Peter, Peter Panmore." An all too familiar voice announced.

I threw my eyes up, only for them to lock with the piercing green ones I knew so well. Fear coursed through my body as he stared right back. It was strange seeing him in the blue uniform of the academy instead of his usual green, but it was him.

His hair, his eyes, his smirk. I was frozen staring at him.

"Well Mister Panmore, you can take a seat next to Miss Darling in the third row." Ms Bail said.

My heart skipped a beat as I watched him walk slowly towards me. I wanted to hide, I wanted to crumble into nothing and disappear. He was here for me. He sat down and looked to the front of the room, ignoring me. But I knew he was scheming. I knew he had some sort of a plan. If I just stayed with the girls all day, I hoped he wouldn't try anything. Then I'd get home and Wendy would help me stop him. Ms Bail was about to begin her lesson when I leaned over to whisper to Kate,

"I'm going to the Bathroom, when I'm gone switch seats with me."

"What? Why?" She whispered back.

"Just trust me."

"Okay sure." She agreed.

I raised my hand as Ms Bail turned around.

"Yes, Miss Darling?"

"May I be excused to the lavatory?"

"Yes, quickly please." I rushed from the room down the hall to the closest girl's bathroom.

I slammed the door closed and clicked the lock. I broke down in tears. I was terrified. A million questions were flying through my head about his motives.

Was he here to take me back?

Was he here to kill me?

Was he here to take one of my friends or my cousins?

How did I think I would truly escape him?

What was his plan to punish me?

I pulled in a few shuddering breaths before splashing water on my face. Wiping my face dry I took one last look in the mirror, I couldn't let him know he got to me.

Walking back into the class I let out an imperceptible sigh of relief as the ever-loyal Kate had switched seats with me. I had her fill me in on what I missed from class and I didn't give Pan a second look all lesson.