Chapter 15

Elaine

The days without Pan had passed by both quickly and painfully slowly. Sometimes I would lose half the day spending time with Daniel and my new-found friends. Other times hours would pass slowly as I thought of Pan and how much I missed him. Everyday my longing and need to see him grew. I wanted to know why it was so important for me to see him, but I couldn't figure it out, it was simply a strange feeling. Daniel and I spent almost every moment together. Training or talking or dancing or reading. I spent a lot of time with the boys Daniel was closest with, Joseph, Anthony, Will and Stephen. Joseph had been in Neverland the longest, Anthony and Stephen followed close behind while Will and Daniel had been here the least amount of time. Daniel had figured that he was roughly the same age as Wendy, a reason why they had been so close.

"There was nothing romantic between us." Daniel told me when I asked one day.

"Pan was...controlling of her to say the least. She told me once that she loved him, but Pan isn't capable of love. I'm sure that's the reason she left for good."

I nodded, "So, what was she to you?"

"She was like a sister, she just wanted to take care of me. Take care of all of us." After that conversation I could tell Daniel wanted to lighten the mood.

"Hey, let's go down to the beach."

"Of course." I replied excitedly.

I was ecstatic to be going to the beach. To feel the sand beneath my toes and the cool water surround me. We walked through the forest to the coast, talking about nothing in particular and laughing the whole way. It was an hour or two past high noon when we arrived at the beach. I undressed into my undergarments, running into the water with Daniel close behind me. The water was the perfect temperature, refreshing in the heat of the day but never becoming too cold. As Daniel ran in, I quickly splashed my hand through the water, sending a spray of water towards him.

"Oh, you want to play do you." He asked eyebrow raised.

He moved towards me slowly and calculatingly.

"No Daniel...wait." I laughed trying to run away through the water.

My laughing slowed me down too much and he soon caught me wrapping his arms around my waist. D spun me around throwing me over his shoulder.

"Daniel!" I laughed, "put me down!"

He waded out further until the water came up to his chest. He pulled me down into his arms cradling me. He lent down and kissed me, smiling the whole time. He pulled away. I could tell he was plotting something.

"D...what are you thinking?" I asked with a giggle.

"I'm thinking that you should go for a proper swim."

"D wait," I laughed, "don't do it."

Daniel threw me out into the water my whole body crashing beneath the surface. I swam up for air, laughter erupting from my lungs. I chased after Daniel grabbing on and tickling him until he begged me to stop. I wrapped my legs around his waist staring into his eyes as the water swayed and swirled around us. I felt calm and free out here as if I could fly away or dissolve into the water itself. The only thing keeping me grounded was Daniel's warm embrace. We stayed in the water for hours, holding each other and lazily swimming about.

Just before sunset we headed back to get dressed for dinner. I changed into a light blue dress. The bodice was fitted, the 'waistline' sitting under my bust. The sleeves were puffed, and the skirt was loose and flowy. Its length was just below my knees.

"You look beautiful." Daniel smiled when I came out of the cabin to meet him.

"I thought I try tonight." I grinned.