Seasick

***

A month had passed and most of the grown-ups had all sailed away on some secret mission led by Stoick, leaving Oakley as acting chief until he returned.

Unfortunately, her hut wasn't built yet, and she was way too tired to commute to the treehouse after a long day of chiefing, so she was staying with Hiccup, who was still in his protective big brother phase. Oakley had barely seen Astrid in the last month, she would get a few minutes with her around lunch before being called away again. And no way was Hiccup allowing her to spend the night. So both girls just suffered in silence. Gobber had agreed to give Oakley the week off. She's only 16 after all.

***

It was the hottest day they had ever had on Berk. It was so hot the boys had to take their shirts off, and the girls had removed their armor and leggings. They were all in their huts, as it was cooler inside.

'Oakley! Oakley!! I have an idea and-' Heather burst into the hut she was staying in just to find out she wasn't alone. Next to Oakley was lying Astrid, who had snuck in during the night. They were snuggling next to each other and looked like they had just slept.

'Sorry, um... did I interrupt something?' Heather asked and wiggled her eyebrows. Oakley glared at her and Astrid chuckled. However, she stopped after Oakley punched her shoulder. She and Heather had actually become really good friends.

'So, what was it you were saying, Heather?' Oakley asked and stood up from the bed. Heather heard Astrid groaning as Oakley left the bed.

'Oh! Yeah, I thought we could all go to the beach.' Heather and Astrid both turned towards Oakley.

'Uh, sure. I mean, why not?' Oakley answered and shrugged.

Astrid smiled at her and turned towards Heather.

'You go tell the others. We'll be there soon.' Astrid said and Heather smirked knowingly.

'Sure.' She answered. And when Oakley was already closing the door, she turned. 'And remember to come to the beach and not sleep after you're done.' She said and laughed when Oakley blushed madly.

Finally, Heather was gone and Oakley closed the door.

'Oak...Are you sure about the beach?'

'Yeah...' She replied. 'It's time I moved on.'

'Does that mean you're gonna come in the water?'

'Maybe.'

***

'Where are they?! I thought they were coming 'soon'!' Snotlout yelled. He was mad at Tuff for filling his helmet with mud and then saying he should put it on before the waves took it. Needless to say that his head was now covered in mud.

'We're here Snotlout... um... I don't know if you noticed, but you've got some dirt just... everywhere.' Oakley said as she and Astrid approached the beach, stopping at the edge of the grass.

'OH REALLY? HADN'T NOTICED!!!' Snotlout screamed. Oakley just told him to go change, before giving Tuff a whole speech about why he can't do that again.

Soon the riders all ran to the sea. Astrid stood beside Oakley at the edge of the grass. She gently took hold of her hand and whispered. 'I'm with you.'

With that Oakley took a deep breath. She kicked off her boots and removed her chest plate and the compartments on her sleeves, leaving her in her tunic and leather shirt, and her leggings of course. She tightened her grip on Astrid's hand and stepped onto the sand. Astrid sighed, happily before they headed to join the others. Oakley froze at the edge of the wave and Astrid scooped her into a piggyback and carried her in. Oakley giggled, she was quite enjoying this side of Astrid. This was the most fun she'd had since the morning of her birthday.