Chapter 15

I follow Levi back into the main HQ building and down the hall to his office. Neither of us say anything and I'm trying to piece together what just happened. Jean... that Scout... Levi... 

It's chilly in the empty building and I wrap my arms around myself. Levi unlocks his office and switches on the light. I walk in after him, not knowing what to say or do. He pulls out a chair and motions for me to sit. I do, mainly because I have no idea what's going on. He leaves then and I watch him go, suddenly alone in his office. I look around at his desk, everything perfectly neat and organised as per usual. I see his line of pens and nudge the one on the far left a fraction out of place. 10 minutes later I hear the door open and I turn around. Levi walks back in, tray of tea and biscuits in hand. I'm so stunned I think my jaw is on the floor. Levi sets the tray down and pours two cups of tea. He then sits down in his chair and pushes a cup across the table to me, taking the other for himself. All I can do is stare. Levi pauses then and his eyes dart across the desk. They land on his line of pens and I can't help the small smile that starts to tug on my lips. 

He shakes his head, sighing. "Why do you do that?" He nudges the pen back into place.

I smile. "Because it's funny." I pick up the tea and take a sip, holding the cup by the handle so I don't burn my fingers. I watch as Levi takes a drink of his own tea. "You know there's a handle for a reason," I say. 

"Have a biscuit," he responds, pushing the plate towards me. 

I shake my head at him but take one anyway, nibbling on it as I let the tea try sober me up a bit. We sit in silence for a while, a kind of tension between us that I don't understand. 

After a while Levi asks, "Are you sure you're ok?"

I rub my eyes and blow out a breath. "Yeah, I'll be fine."

"I'm sorry that happened, (Y/N)."

I sniff. "Yeah, me too."

"It shouldn't have happened in the first place, and it won't happen again. I promise."

I'm startled by the intensity at which he says this. I meet his gaze and he looks so... sincere, that I have to look away. I bite my lip, fiddling with the buttons on my shirt. "Thanks, Levi." 

Levi leans back in his chair, running a hand through his hair. He takes another sip of his tea. I nod to the tray between us. "You didn't have to do that, you know."

He shrugs. "I owed you one." 

"Did you actually go to sleep that night?" I ask.

"Yes."

"Liar."

He rolls his eyes at me and makes that cute, annoying 'tch' sound. I huff a laugh, leaning back in my chair. The curtains are pulled back and I look out his window. Stars glitter against the darkness of the night and I start picking out some of the visible constellations in my head. I set my teacup down and undo my braid, running my fingers through my hair as it falls down past my shoulders. I tuck it behind my ear, feeling a kind of relief. Levi is watching me with something that looks vaguely like surprise. 

"What?" I ask.

He blinks as if caught in a daydream. He shakes his head. "Nothing, I've just never seen you with your hair down before." 

I look away from him and twirl a strand around my finger, suddenly self-conscious. I always keep my hair tied back, it's just easier. I only really let it down around my friends. I think of Jean and sigh. 

"What is it?" Levi says, sitting forward slightly.

I shake my head. "It's nothing, I just..." I can't believe I'm about to tell him this. "I had a fight with Jean."