Chapter 23

Y/N's Pov

"I hear shooting!" Sasha cries, and everyone turns to face her. Her eyes are wide, voice panicked. She points in the direction Levi went. "From over there! I hear close to a dozen shots!" 

I curse, listening intently. And then I hear it. Another shot fires off. I clench my fists. Levi, Eren, Historia...

"Do you think they ran into some trouble?" Jean asks.

"It seems likely," Mikasa says. "The Captain gave me a message," she continues, and I frown. When was this? What message? Why did he tell her and not me? "As of now," Mikasa says. "We're not just fighting Titans, we're fighting humans too."

Small gasps arise from my squad and I press my lips together. I'd figured as much, from what I'd heard from Erwin and the others during the mission. But... I hadn't really believed it until now. Still, there's no mistaking those gunshots. 

"Huh?" Jean exclaims. "You don't mean-" 

But Mikasa is already in action, jumping off the rooftop and heading in Eren's direction.

"Hey!" Armin calls. 

I take a deep breath and turn to my squad. "Let's go."

"But wait," Jean cries. "You can't be serious!"

"Did I stutter?" I snap at Jean. "We need move out and help the others. It doesn't matter who we're fighting if they're already long gone with our comrades by the time we get there. So let's go!"

No one questions my orders. I've sort of become the de facto leader when Levi isn't around. It most certainly wasn't intentionally but I may as well put it to good use now. We chase after Mikasa and soon we've caught up with her. 

"Sasha," I order. "Keep your ears open, pinpoint where the trouble is!"

"On it!" Sasha complies. Those heightened senses of hers really are something. 

I maneuver up beside Mikasa. "Mikasa," I say quietly, so only she can here me. "Keep a level head ok? We'll get Eren back, don't worry." 

"I know," Mikasa says, not bothering to look back at me. "I won't let them take him." 

"Look there they are!" Connie shouts, indicating to the street running parallel to us.

 Everyone looks down, and, indeed, there are Historia and Eren, tied up and unconscious in the back of the wagon that is definitely not being driven by one of our own. The wagon rounds a corner and not even seconds later someone on ODM gear flies around the corner after them. Levi.

"The hell is that?" Jean asks, as someone else chases after Levi. He points what looks like a gun at him and my heart leaps into my mouth. The man shoots and I gasp, but Levi dodges, shooting the hook of his ODM gear into the man's stomach and slashing out his throat as he passes. 

My blood runs cold as the man tumbles to the ground. Dead. 

They were not kidding when they said we'd have to be fighting humans too. 

I swallow. "C'mon!" I say, ignoring the sick feeling in my stomach. We turn onto the street and catch up with Levi. 

He pauses and turns around to us. "Follow the wagon!" he orders.

"Right!" Mikasa and I say together, and then we're all moving as one, racing after the wagon. 

"Listen up," Levi says. "These soldiers were trained to fight other people. They've already taken out three of ours."

I curse under my breath. Hanji's squad. I tuck the information away to grieve later. Right now we have bigger problems on our hands. 

"If you hesitate for so much as a second you'll be dead. If you see an opening, go for the kill."