Chapter 8

Alex was prepping not even 20 minutes after Julie had left.

The first thing she had done was give her dad a call. As expected, it went straight to voicemail - another sign that work had taken precedent over her. She tried not to be bitter but her dad was the last family she had and she hated that he was drifting away. It had been gradual but now that she thought back to how it used to be, summers spent in their cabin up north, she couldn't help but wallow in self-pity and resentment.

That was another reason she had accepted this position at Auxilium so quickly. While she probably wouldn't let anyone get too close, it would be nice to live in a place that wasn't consumed by a stifling silence. Just the sound of other people could help to ease the loneliness.  She didn't expect to make any close friends or anything but had decided that she could be open to new relationships. Of course there was a chance it could leave her hurt in the future as it is with all relationships that require a certain amount of trust, something Alex was in short supply of.

At this point she had decided to stop obsessing over potential scenarios and how they could play out and just focus on packing. 

Shortly after her departure, Julie had sent Alex a text detailing a set of brief instructions and a list of necessities she had to bring. The agency supplied a laptop and each dorm was outfitted with a safe for valuables. Their policy on shopping was lenient. If Alex were to make it to a junior agent position, she would receive substantial wages, enough for any extra food that wasn't already supplied in the dining hall and clothes and other things she would need to buy as time went on. Until she became and agent, which she had promised herself she would, Alex's savings would be sufficient. 

Alex's wardrobe was pretty small to begin with; she had very few clothes, opting to forgo shopping until it was truly necessary. Just the though of having to go shopping made her shiver in horror. Hence, her entire wardrobe fit easily into a pretty large duffel she had used on camping trips. The few toiletries were packed hastily into a bag: a toothbrush, toothpaste she already had, hairbands and a hairbrush that was rarely used made up the contents. Anything else she would buy later. Worst case scenario, she could manage being friendly enough with someone to borrow shampoo or something. 

Other than necessities, her personal belongings were packed away. Between the duffel and satchel, she had managed to fit everything with only a little difficulty. Into the duffel went a small photo album, her favourite hand-built model plane and a small hand-carved wooden dinosaur. Whatever space remained was quickly filled with the books she couldn't live without. 

Phone, wallet, keys (equipped with the last thing gifted to her by her mother - a keyring with a family photograph), book she was currently reading and oyster card were all added to the satchel. 

Anything else in her room would have to be left as it was. Her dad would still have to come home at some point, she wasn't leaving it here to never be seen again. Of course she would be returning during the holidays but something about this felt so, so final. 

Bags were packed, sitting pretty at the foot of the bed. The house was still sans the erratic movements in the kitchen. Not knowing when her father would be returning, Alex decided she needed to eat through the fridge as to not let anything go to waste; a sentiment engrained into her from a young age. 

It was while she was eating through the third day of leftover pasta, mouth full to the brim as Alex tried to chew as fast as possible to finish all the perishable food items as efficiently as possible, that her phone decided to start ringing. She turned it over and looked at the name on the screen and found herself staring at a very young version of herself alongside her smiling dad who, in the image, had decided then was the best time to tickle her while taking a selfie. The result was a very blurred photo with stupidly grinning subjects. 

She groaned, cursing her dad's ability to call at the most awkward moments. Not delaying, she clicked the green button and put her dad on speakerphone.

"Heyo. Everything alright?"

Alex replied 'yes but I need to tell you something important' but it really came out as "yuh bu U nd t te ooh somefing."

"Ah, I caught you during dinner didn't I?"

Alex grunted the affirmative.

"Alright, I'll give you a second to finish what sounds like the world's biggest mouthful."

So he waited. And waited. And carried on waiting.

"Still going?"

Alex grunted again. 

"Great." 

The other line was full of annoying whistling, Alex's dad deciding to sing 'it's raining tacos' at that moment. 

Alec rolled her eyes at the same time she finished swallowing. "K, done."

"That's nice but as I recall, you're the one who needs to tell me something stupid."

"Yes, right you are. Well I just wanted to let you know I'm not going to be home when you get back."

"Really." Her dad's voice was full of disbelief. "What, did you make friends and are staying over because that would require you to be sociable and make an effort with other human beings." His voice had taken on a mock surprised quality.

"Ha ha ha," came the reply, sarcasm practically dripping from the words. "No ACTUALLY, I have been accepted at an elite boarding school."

"Oh?" There was the true surprise. "I didn't know you were applying to any sixth forms, not ones that required you to leave when summer had just started."

"It's a boarding school and uh yeah, I have."

There was a sigh from the other line. "Look, I know your mature but I don't know how I feel about you going away from home. I know you skipped a year and are academically ready for sixth form but you still have some growing up to do."

"Really? I mean, really?"

"Yeah you're right, overly concerned and unnecessary protective parent isn't my vibe."

"Thank god, I honestly though you were being serious there for a second."

"I know you're gonna be fine. Is anyone you know there?"

"Well Julie recommended it and I believe she works there."

"Oh!?" Her dad's voice had become strangely high pitched. "Julie?"

"Yeah you know her, my fighting coach."

"Oh of course." Now he just sounded irritated yet relieved, an odd combination. "Well in that case, you must go."

"I was going to go anyway."

"Look at you being Miss Independent," he faked some sniffles. "My baby's all grown up!"

Alex rolled her eyes and was about to sign off when...

"Hold on, I have to do the normal parenting bit. Be careful, don't drink, don't do drugs, no boys and lock doors at all times!"

"Course, fine, fine, blegh and duh."

"I have taught you well young padawan."

"Naturally. Love you dad."

"Love you too and don't forget to be the most awesome person there, otherwise I'm redacting your archery privileges. And make sure to get into at least 3 fights or I disown you."

"Oh fights? I'm planning on it."

Alex ended the call with a satisfied smile. It was during times like these everything still felt normal and the house felt full. 

But it was all changing and now, Alex was ready for it.