Chapter 29

"Mission report."

No need for smalltalk then. "It's going exactly as planned."

"Exactly?" The disbelief in their tone was thinly veiled.

There was no point in lying. "It's taking longer than expected."

"Yes, and we have yet to see any results whatsoever."

"They're on their way."

"That's not good enough. One of you has already failed, don't make me intervene."

"Trust me, I'm almost there."

"if only it were that easy, trust. Just because you haven't lost all of ours, it doesn't mean you have the right to exact it's power. We have little faith and even less patience."

They clenched their teeth, jaw locking under the pressure. "Oh, I know."

They hated the dark laughter that echoed from the phone's speaker, hating the memories it brought to the surface of their mind. "And you'd do well to remember."

They doubted he would ever forget the scar that adorned their skin as a sick reminder. It was permanent, something they would have to live with forever

"I will have results soon."

"You have one week, child. After that, it's anyone's game and death happens to be my favourite course of action."

They balked at the words, face paling for two reasons. "A week? That's not enough time!"

"Trust me, it will be."

The phone clicked off with resonating finality when the call ended. The hand that held it began squeezing, tight enough for the cracks that already marked the screen groaned and widened further. 

They had a debt to pay but they would do what they could not to let another person they cared about die. If they warranted it, however, it would be a different story.

For now though, they would play the game and got ready for the play.

Their job was almost done, they just hoped that what happened next wouldn't weight down on them. They hoped that this was the right course of action and that their agency wouldn't bring harm upon the girl, at least while she was worthy of their care.

But the world is an unfair place and people move on.