Chapter 55

"Boo."

Alex caught her scream in her throat. She wasn't going to give this assassin the satisfaction. Fear is a weakness, one she wouldn't fall victim to, not now.

She could hear the shock in his voice from which she could tell he was at least in his late thirties. "I was expecting a scream, or at least a little girlish screech. You're not like the rest." He had an air of surety; he was experienced and knew what he was doing. 

None of his victims had been like Alex.

His arrogance gave her the advantage.

"Oh, I know. You have no idea what you've gotten yourself into."

With quick cat-like reflexes, she leapt from her crouching position as if jumping from a spring board. Wasting no time, she pushed his arm out to his right as the reflex shot rang out and shattered the ugly white vase her mum had insisted on show-casing, all the while shooting him in the leg with her pistol. She wasn't going low as killing, not if she would turn into an emotionless husk of a person Potentia prided itself on creating.

Her attackers surprise didn't last long and the bullet didn't nothing to penetrate his apparently bullet proof trousers. Barely seconds after Alex's attack, he retaliated, grabbing her free wrist before she managed to run off and give herself space. He brought her into his chest and pulled his elbow under her neck.

"You're a fighter, that's for sure." She thrashed in his hold, bucking like a bull barely restrained. Her air supply was slowly being cut off and black spots danced across her rapidly fading vision. She forced herself to calm down, to think with the small rationality her oxygen-deprived brain had left. She stopped moving suddenly, going limp in his arms. Just as he began to unwrap his arm from her neck, she elbowed him in the stomach and turned while he dropped her, landing on her feet. 

But that's what he was expecting.

"You think I haven't had people fake it before?"

His movements were faster than Alex had anticipated and she received a hard kick to the stomach that left her winded and gasping for breath while the man grabbed her hair and put the gun to her head.

"Give me one good reason why I should kill you now, make it quick and painless and show mercy rather than cut you up and make you fell the pain you mother inflicted on us, hmm?" She stayed silent, not knowing what to say. "I knew she was rotten, a double agent ready to sell us all out like the scum she thought us to be. Oh how I relish in the absence of her snobbish, prissy attitude. She thought she was better than all of us? She chose the wrong side, the losing side and paid for her betrayal. Now I get to kill her child, and I won't make it as painless as I did hers."

Alex's breath hitched and the black faded out of her vision, replaced by a red sheen that tinted everything the colour of violence and death.

This man, this piece of filth decided to boast about Aliza's death and admitted to killing her in front of a well trained, extremely easy to anger agent. Adrenaline pumped through her veins, harder than before, mixing with the rage in a cocktail of fury. 

She grabbed one of the knives on her side and in one swift movement spun around and swung the knife at her hair, sliced in an easy motion and relinquishing his grip on her. He stood there an opened his hand, letting the large chunk of dark hair flutter to the ground as she pressed her knife to his neck as he pushed the gun harder into her stomach. Of course this wouldn't have tuned into a fist fight, not when a highly trained assassin knew to finish it quickly. She hadn't noticed but he had backed her into a corner, no where to run, nothing to do. No options and no way out.

"In the time you take to slit my throat you'll have a bullet in your stomach, bleeding out with no one to help you. Even if I die, you lose."

It was true. She couldn't think fast enough to survive this situation. She closed her eyes in frustration, angered at the injustice. Because she wanted to kill him, her mother's murderer and would die peacefully if she didn't have a corrupt agency to burn to the ground.