Chapter 70

Alex didn't sneak out again that night, choosing to let herself accept the help she had been dismissing because of the fear she harboured at losing someone else. Rather, she decided to have faith in other people, trust and maybe, just maybe, reveal her high card. She looked down at the keyring she had hidden so carefully, looked at so rarely and yet, she let it give her hope.

Time to reveal the ace.

That morning, there was a tense atmosphere, one that was to be expected of a rag-tag group who were readying to take down the literal government with three teenagers, two of which hadn't seen substantial action to call it experience. 

They all sat around the table, dressed and ready, each with a go-bag of technology and disguises and in Ava's case, a whole load of snacks. As Alex sat down, she noticed the somber expressions but didn't fail to glimpse the sparkle of curiosity. Why would she have got them all together the morning before the break in? The smiled at the thought, at the knowledge she had that would make their lives that bit easier.

James frowned at the smile that donned her face, knowing something was happening but not knowing whether he should be happy or terrified. His confusion was only enhanced when she pulled out a keyring, a normal one with a picture of a family of three, one Greyson seemed to be familiar with.

"You still have that?" HIs voice was soft and full of emotion.

Alex nodded. "Good thing too." Then she fiddled with the back and before James knew it, a USB was sticking out of the side. Greyson leant forward.

"Is that, 'it'?"

"Yeah, mum really knew what she was doing, huh."

Without saying anything else, she grabbed a laptop from her bag, opened it up and plugged it in. They all got the idea and crowded around her laptop, eyes widening as she clicked the file.

"So it turns out it wasn't the worst thing when I got rid of all of their data, everything."

Julie scoffed. "Not terrible because you had everything we needed right in your pocket." She grabbed the laptop and turned it towards her, scrolling manically. "Everything is here! All of the information on their experiments, the names of every corrupt government official, the cure." James saw her click the aptly named file, watching as her eyes widen when they moved across the screen.

"What? What is it?" He asked her with a sense of urgency in his voice.

She looked at him and then the rest of them, "The virus, it's biological. They plan to get it to every big country when it's done, take control of finances, weapons. They export it, let officials put it into the water supply at the thought of it being protection against diseases, like a cure-all vaccine. It's what we thought but worse. Years have made it untraceable, incurable, unless you have the cure, something Potentia will no doubt want to sell, making billions. 

"The government would cause the collapse of countries, the possible death of millions to take control of everything, trade routes, resources, resulting utter pandemonium. It would be the ultimate empire. This 'cure' is the only way of getting rid of it. If the virus gets out, the world will descend into chaos. As for the stuff that's already out, it will take a few months to hit, they couldn't make it seem suspicious. All we can do is hope that enough of the cure can be made in time."

"Honestly, I can see them doing that." They all looked at Ava who shrugged. "What? They're greedy, power hungry sadists. This is exactly what they would do."

James shook his head at his sisters comment before turning to Alex. "Why didn't you show us this earlier?"

Alex rubbed the back of her neck in embarrassment. "Well at first, I didn't look, not until I was in a place Potentia had no chance of seeing what I had, what they had captured me and what they were going to kill me for. Then when I saw it, I hid it because I knew that this was what I needed to take them down, alone." She sighed. "Then you guys made me see that it probably wouldn't have gone so well I decided to show you, which is now. I made a quick plan of what needs to happen."