Chapter 25

"Let's just hope this works." Alex brought up the keycard and held it out in front of the wall. 

Nothing happened. 

She brought it down and put it up again. Now, a red light flashed across the wall, as if it was being projected. 

DNA NOT A MATCH

Great, I need identity and DNA. At this point, why don't I just find one of those super realistic face-masks made out of real flesh. 

She cringed at her own thoughts.

Need to lay off the sci-fi.

Alex went to try the keycard again, this time making sure all of her skin was covered like some very fashionable mummy. With a scarf wrapped round her face as well, she reattempted unlocking the wall.

When she held it up this time, she didn't even get a message.

Frowning, she turned it over to look at it, eyes widening when she realised what was happening. Somehow the keycard had started erasing itself; ink running down the card and dripping off the bottom like a pitiful waterfall. 

Course Auxilium had some fail-safe. One false move and it's game over.

Alex flung the now useless ID to the corner of the room but then regretting it when she heard voices in the corridor.

"Yeah, the breach came from in here."

"Crap." No time to retrieve the evidence. Alex Looked frantically around, knowing she probably shouldn't be leaving through the main entrance. 

Searching turned into running when she heard the wall behind her slide open with an ominous swoosh.

"And that's my cue to leave."

Alex sprinted past all of the rooms, head swinging back to see how close they were to her. Luckily they seemed to be examining the site and weren't looking in her direction, yet.

She passed the fire exit in her haste, then skidded as she doubled back, running up to it and prying it open. 

The door she opened made an irritatingly loud creak. Cursing Auxilium's lack of care for their doors, she jumped through, just as an agent turned towards the source of the noise.

"Hey!" 

Alex slammed the door behind her. Alex used a screwdriver she found in one of the tool boxes to jam the door, then using a hammer to block door handle. 

She walked over to the only other door on the opposite side of the small room she found herself in, once again reminiscing. She could hear the people fumbling with the handle behind her, the clattering sound forcing her to work faster. 

She was thankful the fake keypad was no where in sight. Instead she had been gifted by fate a door that was being stubborn.

"Open you useless piece of steel!"

She pushed with all of her weight, rammed into it with a shoulder and even tried kicking it. The latter left her with a very sore foot.

And then she saw the sign.

Sighing to herself in disappointment, Alex grabbed the handle and pulled, the door opening easily. 

Doors, so unnecessarily difficult.

She rushed onto the atrium sofas, unwound her scarf, took off her sunglasses, gloves, jacket and stuffed it all under a sofa. She then found the closest book from one of the many bookshelves and slumped down onto the seat. She flicked it open at the moment the agents came bursting through the door. All they saw was a junior agent in a green t-shirt reading a book, no potential robbers in sight.