Chapter 65

Day 1

Alex sat up with a start, rustling the dry leaves that had made up her bed. The sun was high in the sky now, a vast contrast from the darkness she had been accustomed to. After all, she did lead them on for at least 6 miles. Call it paranoia but Alex knew it was really just the logical thing to do at this point, or at any point in time when you're being hunted by a secret agency with all of the resources of the government. She rubbed a hand down her face, trying to rid her eyes of sleep, and looked around her.

It was a part of the forest she knew well: where the trees grew high into the sky and hedges lined the area she had her father had cut through years before. Though overgrown, the pathway was still visible and as long as you knew which paths were safe, you could get through the maze - a handy idea that had started out as a game could end up saving their lives.

The autumn season had left all flowers hiding under the soil but bushy ferns withstood the cold along with small shrubs that still bathed the landscape in a lush green. Paired with the cold air, a melody of bird sounds and the rustling of evergreen branches, it felt safe, like home. Alex breathed a sigh of happiness, that calm happiness that's only achievable in a place you truly feel comfortable. That's what this forest was to her; a reminder of her dad and the amazing life he had given her, with and without her mum.

She let out a loud yawn, twisting to the side and cracking her back. She turned the other way and paused, eyes settling on James who was sleeping, back up against a tree in one of the most awkward positions imaginable. She vaguely remembered a conversation as her eyelids drooped the night before about someone being slightly scared of all of the 'creepy crawlies that could bite me in the night'. The memory made her giggle and she decided now was the perfect time to have some fun. You need as much as you can get when in a situation like hers.

She walked over to an old, fallen tree now rotted on the inside. Perfect. She ripped off a piece of the bark and smiled when she found her prize. Carefully inching it out of the wood, she picked it out between her thumb and index finger. A grin similar to that of a madwoman plastered itself on her face as she walked back over to the peacefully sleeping James. Not for long. She placed the thing on his face, moving out of the way in case his reaction was more violent.

The first thing James felt was a slight tickling on her face. He twitched his nose in an attempt to get the itch off. It stopped for a second before it came back, now with something wet on his cheek. He brushed a hand over his face and groaned, still sleep deprived and exhausted from their night time trek he had a pretty good idea that Alex made them walk a lot more than 3 miles. He brushed his hand over his face again and this time, felt something solid. He froze but could now tell there was something on him, moving. He cautiously opened his eyes and found the biggest, fattest, cream-coloured larvae staring at him, its thousands of eyes looking into his and the small pincer like teeth snapping threateningly at him. He let out a yelp, standing up with trying to get the insect off of him, even resorting to slapping his face as he jumped around. His colourful language also made an appearance, making Alex laugh much harder from the sidelines. Once sure he was finally rid of the little pest, he turned towards Alex with a grim scowl.

"Why? Just, why?"

She laughed even harder and although he hated it, it made his scowl lessen as he memorised the carefree sound and locked it in his memory.

"Oh my gosh!" She forced out between peals of laughter. "You should have seen your face!" Alex was doubled over, clutching her stomach.

"Ha ha, am I just a source of amusement for you?" His scowl had turned upside down at this point, seeing the more humorous side of the prank.