Chapter 52

Thanks to her decision to finally 'be an agent' Alex had a lot more access than when she first used to sneak out.

 She could not, however, leave with her suitcase and satchel slung around her shoulder. That would be a pretty big hint about what she was planning to do. 

Therefore, Alex took a page out of her own book. Hoping her suitcase, which was still packed from when she had first arrived, wouldn't break with the added height of being on the third storey, she dropped it - as gently as she could. She dropped her satchel too, just keeping her phone, passport, keyring and all other essentials on her person. She had dark blue jeans with a grey t-shirt bearing the words 'Can't hear you over the sound of me ignoring you' which she had always laughed at. didn't have it in her to laugh at anything anymore. Her outfit was completed with her denim jacket. She wasn't going too dark to be suspicious but not too comfortable to be arrogant, and, again, suspicious.

Who knew there was such balance needed in getting dressed in the morning?

Everything had been set up. At around 9 the next day, the time that they would figure out she had left, all information about her, her mother and anything to do with her family would be erased. Her badge would self-destruct and all security footage with her face would be deleted, permanently. Perks of being one of the best hackers ever.

She sighed as she looked at the very plain room with the infra-red scanner in the corner, which she had disabled, as well as the camera outside of the room; or rather make it seem as though nothing interesting was happening in it's eye-sight. As much as she wished to sneak out of the window, it would raise too much suspicion too fast. The more people that saw her going about her daily business around the agency meant less suspicion. She would just have to make sure that no one saw her actually leave the building and then all she needed to do was don some sunglasses, reverse her jacket and blend in with the many tourists. 

Leaving suspiciously after being spotted was not a mistake she wanted to repeat. 

Alex needed a bit of time to sort out some cyber-space information she couldn't risk being monitored in the building. She was going to do what she should have done ages ago. She was going home: not the house but her home, her family. Hopefully her dad knew something about all of this.

She ran a hand through her hair and prepared herself for the acting, the personality switch, the character change.

She walked out of the room and headed to her only 'lesson' of the day. It was a mixture of theory in the field, encryption, decryption surveillance and analysis. Agent Blackworth was her teacher, nice enough but couldn't find it in himself to properly teach her, which worked out perfectly.

"Why hello Alex, how are you on this fine morning?" He was being totally genuine, not an ounce of distrust or sarcasm in his voice.

"Ah, you know, the usual," her set reply.

He nodded. "Unfortunately, I have been called away so I prepared these," he got a booklet, perfectly stapled in the corner, from out of his brief-case (yes he was that kind of person), the papers making a quiet ruffling sound as he handed it to her. "Just finish them by tomorrow, which I know won't be too hard for you, and send me a scanned copy." He tipped down his top hat in farewell before exiting the room.

Alex sat down at one of the many empty desks and decided to finish it now, the 26 page booklet taking her around 13 minutes. The room was supposedly used for the junior agents but all seemed to be elsewhere. It was a mystery until she hacked in to the database and emails, covering her tracks thoroughly, and discerning all junior agents had been sent to an offshore training facility for the foreseeable future.