Chapter 69

The window was open just wide enough for Alex to fit through, her knuckles white on the side of the panel. This was it, the moment that would either lead to her demise of save everyone she loved. That thought alone, the fact that she could protect all the people who had managed to find a place in her heart negated all self-preservation instincts and she knew what she would have to do. 

Checking all necessities and tools were safely stored on her person in the many pockets thanks to her aptly chosen outfit, she leapt over the precipice and out into the night, leaving the small cabin behind her. This was it.

Her dad was supposed to have been back by now and Alex couldn't for the life of her remain twiddling her thumbs in a safe place when her father could be being tortured right now. 

A day of planning and preparation, finalising all of the details wouldn't not go to waste. So Alex would have to do multiple things in a short space of time so the government agents wouldn't suspect a thing. 

The chance of pulling it off were extremely low, minuscule even, but nothing she wouldn't be able to handle. The deletion of most of Potentia's database earlier had left her with less evidence to concatenate into a believable record but it also meant Potentia was in chaos. Nothing was left — no data about allies, enemies, in action agents — nothing. Everything was wiped. While Potentia had close to unlimited resources being part of the government and all, allowing basic operations to be fully functional at this time, more complex actions couldn't be undertaken with no information and Alex was great at destruction.

Now all that was left was to get rid of the virus, any trace of it had to be erased, and take down Potentia, first by taking out the leader and then burning the remains.

"Why don't you just send any evidence to other countries or other people with power in the country? Just let the whole world know."

The three of them had been sitting at the table, discussing the plan with papers, blueprints and document strewn across the dark wooden surface. 

Alex had looked at Ava, calculating. While it would be easier to just get everything out in the open, it would have disastrous affects. "If we let the entire world know that the British government had concocted a virus to cripple other countries (be it biological or technological) and had a dark vein of corruption pulsing through the heart," she paused when she heard James scoff, muttering something about 'unnecessary poetical metaphors' to which she rolled her eyes, before carrying on, "it would be the end of the UK. No one would trust the government and there go all of the necessary alliances and agreement with other countries. The country in itself would descend into a time of chaos. There would be no government to control things and the country would be torn."

"So how is this going to work?"

"First we give the people a chance to see the true intentions of Potentia, hope and pray some of them still have morals and want to change. There's a chance people don't know what's going on. After all its government based, an organisation created to cater to the needs of society. Those who know and don't want to change can be, let's say, exterminated." There was a savage grin on Alex's face. "All we're doing is getting rid of the rot so the tree can grow and flourish."

Ava nodded, looking content with the explanations. James looked at her strangely.

"Is there a reason your speaking in metaphors? It doesn't make you sound any smarter you know."

Alex kicked his shin, smirking at the wince.

She let out a breath, already knowing the angry people she was going to be leaving behind wouldn't take this and would do anything to help as she made her way around the house and to the long driveway.