Chapter 72

Alex walked around the steel maze, gun held tightly in one hand while the other periodically checked that the bomb, equipment absolutely essential to the success of the mission, was still tucked safely in her belt, under her jacket. She had yet to find the vials and she needed to place the bomb as close as possible to them, hopefully central to the collection, to ensure maximum chance of complete destruction. 

The entire warehouse was silent save for the sound of her quiet footsteps on the polished stone floor. There was no sign of life anywhere else and that in itself was fr more terrifying than hundreds of armed agents surrounding her. It was tense: the silence before the storm.

And Alex had no idea just how big the coming storm was.

There was a low hum from the electricity running though the storage area, cutting off with the flickering of the lights. If she wasn't so focused on getting to the centre she might have thought more about the fact that this would've been a great setting for a horror movie. 

For instance, the painfully loud silence was better than creepy music. The shadow of a person that slunk around behind her would have been the perfect monster. The moment the shadow reached for her would have been the moment screams echoed through the cinema.

Only the people watching were either enthused by the development or fuming.

Alex felt the presence behind her and spun, using her gun as a blunt force weapon, swinging it and using the momentum from its weight to crash into her opponents outstretched arm. But her opponent was ready. Instead of knocking the arm back, it moved from its destination at Alex's ear to her face, the hit echoing with a resounding SLAP. 

Alex's opponent lunged again, their speed taking Alex off guard as they successfully, and nimbly, pulled out the comms unit before throwing it to the side. 

Daze wearing off, Alex went on offence, knocking into the other person with her shoulder, eliciting a groan as she made impact with their stomach. Now she had gotten a hit in, she could tell that the person's stature was slim yet toned, their physique lithe like a panther. It was undoubtedly female and it was infuriatingly familiar. 

Alex hadn't seen her fight much before but had taken enough notice to admire her quick reflexes and speed. What she lacked in power she made up in number. Where a person could get one hit in, she could get multiple smaller, well placed hits to land in the same amount of time. Alex narrowed her eyes. Feigning a right hook at the head, she took the gap created by her opponent blocking to yank down their hood.

The first thing she saw was the red hair tumble out about her opponents shoulders. 

"I should have known."

They shrugged. "Honestly, you should have."

"How long had you been working at Auxilium to gain such a well respected position?"

"Long enough."

Then they lunged again. Yes she was fast but Alex had been training long enough and with enough people to be able to counter the attacks. The extreme speeds meant she was forced to prioritise defence against offence but she had the power in her attacks to force her opponent back. Every block become more forceful, allowing her to force an error on her opponent's part, her arms to the side which left her abdomen exposed. Alex lashed out with a growl, causing her opponent to fall back.

"You know what, I was expecting more from you, Heather."

Heather looked at Alex with fire and vengeance in her eyes. Alex had noticed her movements become emotional and erratic rather than skilfully well-placed. Something was bothering her.