Chapter 38

Julie had done well keeping the identity of the 'woman in black' a secret. The only ones who knew were Mark, of course, and other than the agents who had been in the room that night, Ava and Heather.

The strange thing was, Ava looked scared. Not of her though but for her, as if she was expecting something to happen any minute now.

Heather's reaction was even stranger. Where Alex had only been greeted by scowls and distasteful looks from afar, she was now being treated with, appraisal? It felt, wrong, foreboding.

Something had changed, and for someone who didn't like change, this was very bad.

While Mark hadn't said anything about that night and his suspicious activity, Alex had a feeling something was up. Even though he was the last person her age to be talking to her since Ava was still not telling her the truth about her mission at the Tower of London, she decided that calling tutoring off was for the best. After all, he had given the information she had used and she had tutored him. Their deal was complete and for some reason, Alex felt relieved not to spend as much time with him now. The way he looked at her was soft, strangely so. For someone who practically renounced all emotions, this one was especially unnerving. 

Other than her close relationships, nothing else had changed, if you didn't count the piles of homework she had been receiving. If this was part of her punishment, Alex thought that they had been rather unoriginal. She believed it was a way of keeping her busy so she didn't attempt any more break-ins or thefts.

The agency hadn't been too happy about her 'borrowing' that hair clip.

After finishing work that should have taken her hours in less than one, Alex spent the rest of the time preparing for her exit. There wasn't anything to stay for and at the moment, she didn't have any further plans post-departure. She was planning on hiding out in some hotel somewhere until she was far enough away with the right technology to contact her father.

Until then, it was gathering her things and draw-up some hasty plans.

She did want to leave as soon as possible after all.

The day had been uneventful, Alex's monotonous routine not changing in the slightest. She entered her room with a tired sigh. Leaving Auxilium wasn't going to be difficult, she wasn't a prisoner after all. Yet for some reason, no matter how much she wanted to leave, something was holding her back. There was nothing keeping her there, per say, apart from comfort really. Alex never was fond of change and she was planning to head into a situation she had little control over. 

While 'winging it' was her go to, something told her it wouldn't be enough. She was in the middle of something. She had seen that person three times and he was working for another secret agency. That must mean they had some interest in her, right?

Alex collapsed onto her desk chair, swinging around in contemplation.

What I really need is motivation.

So the universe answered her prayer.

A shrill beep echoed through the room, startling Alex into falling off her chair.

She got up, gingerly checking herself for any injuries before reaching for her phone. When seeing nothing on its screen, she checked her laptop. That too yielded no results.

Thinking it was simply a sound her tired brain had conjured, she sat back at her desk. 

Alex saw something that hadn't been there before.

Contrasted to the dark wood upon which it sat was a crisp, white envelope, its contents bulky and Alex's name written beautifully in dark red ink. 

At least I hope that's ink.

She took it carefully in her hands, flipping it over and tearing through the red wax seal, not paying enough attention to the emblem marked on it. Carefully tipping the contents onto the table, she inspected the phone that clattered out. It was an old iPhone, one of the first models - no longer on the market. 

It wasn't password protected so Alex slide up the lock, onto the home screen where a little red bubble was stuck to the green outline of the messages app. 

Too curious not to look, she clicked on the button and forgot about all of her misgivings. The unknown number filled the screen, one message beneath it.

Hello Alex.

Alex sighed, thinking this was too familiar for her liking. She replied anyway.

Who is this. 

A group who thinks you'd be a perfect fit here.

And how would you know?

We have eyes and ears everywhere, Alex.

Why do you think I would even consider this, I have no idea who your are.

You're mother did, very well in fact. If it weren't for the agency whose halls you reside in now, she would still be alive.

Alex knew what they were trying to do.

Why should I believe you? 

You've seen the evidence, have you not?

She didn't reply.

I'll take your silence as a yes. Believe it or not, we have been thinking about recruiting you much longer than we've made apparent. You have skills that could be used for the greater good of your country, towards a cause that matters.

I've saved lives before.

Are you sure?

The worst thing was, she didn't. She solved the codes, got congratulated but never heard the outcome, never actually knew what Auxilium's intentions were, she had always just assumed.

Let's say, hypothetically, I'm interested. Why would I come to you?

You help us, we help you.

And how to you propose you do that?

You've only ever wanted one thing Alex, we can help you get it, if you join us.

Alex wasn't ready to commit to another secret agency, not one whose timing was a little too perfect. But she couldn't deny they could be of use to her, if she used them just right.

I'll think about it.

If she wanted their help, it would be on her terms, she wouldn't owe them anything. 

They must have got the message because instead of a reply, a message flashed bright on the screen.

'Self destruct initiated. 10 seconds and counting.'

Alex rolled her eyes at the dramatics. She quickly tipped out the contents of her bin, throwing the phone into the metal barrel moments before the phone erupted into flames.

She watched them dance in morbid fascination. 

Her it was, her opportunity. She had been given a chance to take was she was due, and she wasn't going to let it go to waste.

But she promised herself she wouldn't be controlled, that her hunger for revenge wouldn't make her do something stupid.

If only she knew herself better.