Chapter 64

James froze. This reaction was not something Alex wanted to see. She didn't, however, see the total confusion on James' face.

Glancing back at Alex, who had a suspiciously blank expression on her face, James said, "Due, I really have no idea what you're talking about."

Grayson waved his hand around. "Course you do. You know the girl, number one in your training group."

James' brows rose in realisation. "Oh, H and I were never together."

"Really? The boss always talked like you were."

"Huh, maybe she told him we were together, though I have no idea why. To be honest I think she wanted us to be closer but I never really liked her." Grayson nodded in understanding and Alex felt the tension dissipate from her shoulders. She wouldn't have cared if James had a girlfriend but wouldn't have liked almost kissing someone who was already with someone else. She wasn't that person.

"Why would you need her anyway?"

"She's the boss' daughter and seen as she seems quite smitten with you, it might be a good idea to see if she would help with the plan. I mean, a router coming from her wouldn't be taken with a pinch of salt."

"That's true but I don't have a way to contract her."

"Eh, well, was worth a try."

After that, chatting dwindled to an all time low, everyone exhausted by planning and the knowledge that this was happening. It was real, not just some plot in a novel. This was real life and for some reason, that hadn't quite registered with Alex. Never in her life had she thought she would actually be doing something like this: something of value that allowed her to finish what her mother had started. 

She fingered the USB keyring that no one had yet to know about, the proof they needed to take Potentia down, without the rumours and hope that word of mouth was enough to get people to listen and disband completely. But to do it, she was going to have to go against the plan and finish it herself. She knew she had people with her, people that cared about her which is exactly why she had to do this alone. What they had planned, it was crazy, suicidal even. She would need help taking out the warehouses but everything else? That was up to her now.

She hadn't noticed James was talking to her until she felt a series of just less than painful prods against her upper arm. Snapping out of her daze she turned on him. "What." Her voice came out harder than she intended and she winced. "Sorry, just thinking."

James nodded in understanding. "This is a lot to take in, no wonder you've completely missed the last part of our conversation." There was a slight smirk on his face to which Alex rolled her eyes.

"Okay then, smart guy, you gonna clue me in or just hold it over me for the rest of time?"

He laughed at that and the build up of pressure in her chest released. Yes she was an almost sixteen year old spy who was literally tasked with helping to save the world from something that sounded like it should exist in a sci-fi book and not in her little old life but there was some normality, still some joy left which the boy next to her was a constant and grateful reminder. "I think I'll hold it over you, seems much more entertaining."

She sent him a glare, one that would be enough to make even the scariest people surrender at the sight of, something it had done in the past, but it just made James laugh harder and though she hated to admit it, she let a small smile onto her face. Something James hadn't failed to notice.

He stopped laughing, eyes growing wide. Then he gasped and pointed at her face. "Oh my gosh, did I just make the Alex Pierce smile." He looked at Grayson who also had a smile on him face and mirth lighting up his eyes, happy to see amidst chaos they had found amusement. Because sometimes, that's all you could do to stop yourself from falling apart and cracking under the pressure they had willingly submitted to. There was no other way.