Chapter 60

Anger. There was so much anger in his eyes.

If looks could kill, Alex's dad would be 6 feet under. Maybe even 10.

Alex looked between the two, James still pointing his gun at Grayson with a fierce determination while Alex's dad held his hands up behind his head. 

He didn't look scared though. 

He was looking at James with a thoughtful expression, one she knew all too well. It was the 'I am currently analysing you and will then beat you because I have found your weakness' face. She groaned and for some reason, despite the seriousness of it all, she started to laugh. 

It started quiet and breathy but all of the anger and worry and the incredulity of it all was poured into the laugh, turning it into a high pitched cackle. While she did find the entire situation shocking and slightly maddening in that her father had been keeping secrets from her, she couldn't deny that everything had been unbelievably film-like.

"Am I in a book? No, a really bad, low budget film?" Her words came out in shuddered breaths. "I mean, secret agencies exist, I'm an agent, you," she said, pointing at James, "Are a double agent at the agency that wants to kill me. My friends at my old agency were double agents,  the crazy agency is experimenting on humans like guinea pigs and then my dad," shook her head in exasperation, "also works for the agency that killed my mother but I'm guessing you're gonna say that you're really a double agent that's trying to find a way to take Potentia down from the inside, just like what we were planning to do."

Both of them were staring at her in shock, mouths hanging open. Her dad said something first. "Are you high?"

That sent her into hysterics again, all of the suppressed emotions flooding out in a tidal wave of laughter. "Me, high? Are you mad?"

"Drunk?"

She snorted in reply.

Now James spoke up. "Well as book-worthy this is, I assure you that it's all very much real so if you could screw your head on straight, that would be just great," he hissed. Sure he could understand the hilarity of the situation but first, he had to deal with the man in front of him. 

James kept the gun trained on Grayson, pointing it straight between the eyes. 

Alex shook her head, still amused. She walked over to James, standing between him and her dad. "What are yo-" James hadn't finished speaking by the time Alex had a hold of the gun, snapping his wrist to the side and successfully disarming him. She clicked the safety on and tucked it securely in her belt.

"Now as funny as I find this situation, you will not point a gun at my dad." Her voice had lost all traces of humour and she looked deadly. James gulped and stepped back, not even trying to grab his spare gun.

Ignoring the fact they both probably thought she was unhinged from sudden change from giggling school girl to deadly assassin, the change had shocked them enough to giver her a time to intervene. 

She hadn't stopped laughing internally, not when she found herself in the middle of an underground feud with a corrupt government. She didn't let her amusement show and instead revelled in the fear on James and her father's face. Now after almost sixteen years of life, her father knew exactly when she was being serious. He still sent her a goofy grin though.

"Thanks kiddo." She looked at him then, eyes hard and he stepped back, hands up in a sign of surrender once again. "Okay then. I'm gonna shut up." 

Alex sighed. He dad had always been the goofy one at home, the one telling jokes and making everyone laugh. He acted like a kid on purpose and it was the only time she let herself feel younger than she had to be. But now wasn't the time for that.