Chapter 43

True to his word, James continued to schedule regular meet-ups. Their place to go was the park close to base. The start of their plan was hatched out on wooden benches, combat training taking place on the green grass under a clear blue skies, on as many days as the unpredictable British weather would allow anyway.

Alex was getting used to James' presence, a safe space in a world where anyone could want to hurt her. She still disliked his childish behaviour, the over-exuberant attitude grating on her nerves. What she did find interesting where his slips into seriousness, the agency training more prevalent in his subconscious than she would have thought.

It did make her happy to know James could be groaning on the floor without Alex breaking too much of a sweat. While part of her always preened at the victories, she couldn't help but feel like he was holding back, as she was. 

It was never good to let anyone know exactly how dangerous you were.

Their routine continued for days, his concealed smiles and waves making her roll her eyes when the spotted each other around the building. 

Somehow, though, he had started to break down her walls. She even almost smiled.

"Best weapon, go."

"I'm not engaging in this trivial conversation."

"Then don't. It wouldn't even be a discussion, it's most obviously a gun."

Alex shook her head. "Knife, or multiple."

"Gun's are much quicker to fire, you get more chances without putting yourself directly in an enemy's line of fire."

"Yes, but there's something personal about a knife. Up close, you can see the damage you've inflicted, you yourself without a machine."

James looked at her strangely. "You're really violent, you know."

"And?"

"Nothing, just makes you seem stronger, if not a little crazy."

Alex smiled then. "A little crazy never hurt anyone."

James' eyes widened at the sight of her lips curled upwards but much to Alex's approval, didn't mention it. "With you, it just might."

They sat in silence for a while until Alex said something she had been thinking about a lot. "I'm going to accept soon, it's time we got more information. I'll have less duties than you and while I may be under less scrutiny, I can get around without people noticing I'm missing."

James answered sagely. "If you're sure. Once you do, they'll have an element of control over you. You'll be in and that gives both of you an advantage. I just hope for your sake yours is better."

See, moments like that made Alex stop and think.

And then the child was back. "Also, I hope they give you a stupid codename."

"What's yours?"

"Not telling."

"A hint?"

He pondered before answering. "It's a bird."

"Anything else?"

"No."

Alex huffed. "Fine. Just don't be jealous when I get the best one."

Maybe acting a little childish wasn't so bad. After being serious her whole life, maybe this was what she needed. 

The next day, that same guy who basically interrogated her and took her stuff, came to pay her a visit. He came every week, every day in fact, to ask her if she had changed her mind as she waited for breakfast in the canteen, just before her regular training session in the gym.