Nightfall

I don't know what happened really. It was the holidays, we were all merry and raising our glasses. We didn't do anything, obviously, but you know what they say about new years kisses. You wake up the next morning and want to regret your exsistence. 

Luckily with Draco it wasn't like that. 

One of my bestfriends, who I used to hate, and I, our lips collided but laughs and arm around my shoulder was more of the sense I was getting. 

It was all ok. 

Until it dawned on me rumors would fly, people would care. 

Tom would care. 

Mattheo could care.

-

The train ride back to Hogwarts was messy, playing cards tossed on our table. 

"The train knocked my hand, I swear!" Pansy says attempting to justify knocking Blaise's hand onto the table exposing the cards she needed. 

"Sure Pans" Blaise says as we all laugh. 

I look down at my hand and smile at the game. "Double jacks" I announce getting up and exusing myself. 

"Are you alright?" Draco asks, following me out of the compartment. 

"Just dandy" I reply. 

"Miss him?"

"A little"

"I'm here Black, you know that" 

"Thanks Malfoy"

"Anytime"

-

The speech seemed longer this year, as I feel I've never truly examined the colour of the pale wall behind me so closely. One dear part seems to capture my attention though. 

"As a school, we are aligned with the Ministry. The death of one of our own, Tom Riddle has brought hollowness to these halls. So we please ask that respect of your peers is shown as Mattheo Riddle returns back to school for the second term of this year" Dumbledore announces. 

Gasps and whispers fill the hallways as my lips seperate slightly. 

He's back. 

He said he wouldn't be back; I didn't think he'd be back. 

He's back.

-

He sits at the end of our table, eyes fixed on the table, picking at the food in front of him. 

"Riddle, its good to have you back mate" Blaise says quietly. 

I feel his knee against mine, his hand squeezing mine under the table. "Good to be back" mattheo says as they begin a conversation, I slip my hand out of his. 

The topic of gossip comes around eventually, Pansy taking the lead on the particular topic. 

"They're together now"

"Really?" Mattheo says, his eyes darting to mine. 

"Sorry, pardon?" I ask blinking and snapping out of my trance. 

"You and Malfoy" Pansy says cheerfully. 

"Just friends" Draco says with a laugh. I smile warmly and grab his hand holding it up. "Just friends" I repeat. 

"So you can hold his hand but not mine?" A cold voice whispers in my ear. 

I turn expecting Mattheo, but he was already gone. 

"I'd better get to sleep" I say, my excuse painfully honest as my head hits the pillow, my eyes finally shutting. 

-

Two days had passed. I hadn't spoken to him yet. 

Pansy, Blaise, Draco and I were spending most of our days outside in the snow despite the frost forming around us attempting to savor the last days of winter. We were having a nice time, lessons had already begun, and it felt like no time at all had passed since last year, where everything seemed ok. The only difference was Tom. And Mattheo. Even though we hadn't lost Mattheo, it felt that way. 

He often sat alone, occasionally acompinied by Flint, or Astoria Greengrass. When I watched her run her fingertips over his arm, brush the hair out of his face, my temper flared. But it was ok, because we had let each other go. I'm not with him, so she can be. 

But tonight, tonight is what changed everything from happy, from fine, to chaos that became our lives. 

-

It was dark, around 10 pm according to Harper, a fifth year up in the common room. 

I duck through the stone wall, my footsteps silent but clumsy as I attempt to find my wand without light. I feel I left it in the hall. As I walk through the empty Great Hall, ignored by house elves, I brush my slippers across the floor attempting to find the fallen object. 

I find it soon, the now cold wood lighting up as I attempt to direct myself back to the common room. 

"Rose?" I hear a weak voice call out. 

"Hello?" I whisper, not wanting to be caught. 

"Its me. Please come, please help" The voice says over and over. I follow the hollow acoustics, eventually finding him. 

"Luminous Maximus" I whisper and lights go on around me. 

"Holy shit" I say softly taking in the sight in front of me. 

He's slumped against the wall, a huge wound trickling out blood from his abdomen. 

"Hey, hey are you ok?" I say over and over as Mattheo groans. 

I take his shirt, cold but sprinkled with blood and apply pressure to his stomach. 

"Rose" He says softly, biting his tongue to keep from screaming. 

"mattheo" I whisper, tears clouding my eyes. I wouldn't loose him too, I knew that. 

"it'll be ok" I say over and over, hoping I'd believe it soon. 

"Somebody help" I call out desperatly, tears streaming down my face. 

"Shit shit shit" I say as the shirt becomes fully red. I take off my own sweater and press it against his stomach. 

"Aw, I didn't get to say goodbye to you last time you were at my house" a high pitched voice says, laughing. 

"Oh Bellatrix, thank god. Help him. Please" I ask desperatly. 

"Oh honey, who do you think did this to him?" She says laughing wickedly. 

"Run" Mattheo says weakly. 

Think, what was the spell Tom always used. When Draco fell off his broom, Pansy cut herself with a broken cauldron, Blaise tripped in the Hall. Whats the fucking spell. 

"Episkey, Emendo, I dont know!" I shout pointing my wand at Mattheo. 

He cries out in pain as I duel with Bellatrix, keeping her busy while he gets up. 

"Run" Mattheo repeats, still not sounding good. 

"Only if you come with me" I shout over the noise. 

"Go" He says and the two of us take off running as curses bound the walls behind us. 

"We're fucked now aren't we" I say as we run. 

"Fucked." Mattheo repeats. 

-

We ran, through the halls that used to be warm. We used to laugh, and joke around, together. 

These halls, now empty. 

-

'this dorm was once a madhouse' -champagne problems, taylor swift

Happy Red Release Week 

<3