84

||ETHAN||

What I said isn't a lie. Though under the damaging interaction, concern buried deep within that man. I was too panicked to even properly observe, only now the I realize and puzzled the pieces.

In a sad way, he was overwhelmed by his life shattering: his home and family broken. I don't even know his whereabouts after I had passed out.

Jack and Zack grazed pitiful looks on me, "what, are they planning to do to you?" My cousin asked.

I don't know if I wanted to unveil the news of burden, but they appear rather inquisitive, "to compensate, they need to perform a blood transplant between me and dad..." I paused, shutting my squint, "the surgery needs to happen successfully, otherwise," I fidgeted the connected tube from my chest the monitor that lessened in frequency. There was no need to finish the sentence as both got the idea. More so that Jackson pulled tighter in fear. Zack could only breathe out in gloominess, "you mentioned that you were injured on your bones too, right?.."

I could only nod.

"Fuck..." Jackson cursed in a muffled voice.

It was utterly silent at the moment when the sound of the door opened making us jolt a bit in reaction. We waited until dad appeared by the curtains to see us like we are now. Clearing his throat, he started, "I need to talk to my workplace quickly about this. I'll be back as soon as possible to discuss about the surgery. In the meantime, they'll keep you company. I love you," he finishes with a bittersweet tone.

"I love you too dad." Then, he retreats outside and carefully shuts the door.

-

At some point, as much as I wanted to stay cuddled up, Jackson said that he needed to use the bathroom for a moment. And so Zack and I are left with a serene ambiance and the consistent tick of the machine. Tough, there feels like something was bugging him, like an inquiry waiting to be let out. "Something the matter?" I asked him. He notices me catching his behavior.

He taps his chin, "are you and Jackson..." he flushes pink with embarrassment. To bring clarity, he stutters while gesturing both his hands and holding them together like a couple would, "y-y'know?" fumbling bashfully.

I chuckle, only to slightly cough with a tinge of pain, "yep."

"Haha! So it's true!" My dear cousin couldn't help but smile excitedly. Only then did a grown man hop around, prancing like a happy child. Never have I seen someone look so endeared to know his cousin is in a relationship with one of his good friends.

Though, more questions gossiped like a student curious for answers, "since when?" Teeth flashed in a grin.

Pondering, It honestly seemed unbelievable with more thought to it. It told him it was possibly around 2-3 months ago since he first confessed, but also added that our feelings developed way back since high school. "Yeah, that makes sense." He nods.

"Have you gotten to the holding hands stage?"

Blinking, I rubbed the back of my neck, "erm, we may have skipped that and went to the kissing phase already."

Zack's jaw drops, flabbergasted, "are you serious?!"

"What's wrong?" My brow raised.

Zack pouts and presses his pointer fingers together, "it took me 4 years to tell Andrea how I feel, and 1 more to get a kiss from her..." he whines, to which I giggle at, "can't believe you manage to get way ahead of me."

-

When Jackson came back, I noticed he had brought along a small styrofoam cup containing some water. When I raised out to take it from him, he smiles kindly as I quenched my thirst. It's been a while since I've had a drink, I was feeling parched.

The entire time, they've kept my mind cleared from the suffocating isolation. To their best abilities, they steered away the atmosphere into a more cheerful one to keep my thoughts at ease.

Despite not telling Zack to be subtle about our previous conversation, it didn't take long for him to chatter about Jackson's and my relationship, sending him into a coughing fit. "W-what?" He stutters but simultaneously playing it cool.

"Oh don't be surprised man," Zack chuckles, giving a friendly pat to his buddy's shoulder.

Jackson's ears redden as he lets out a sigh, "I suppose I should get used to coming out more often."

Which reminds me, being separated to handle our own conflicts, I wondered how Jackson dealt with his, "how did it go?"

"Hm?" His head perks up.

"How did your family react about it?"

The first response was to frown, "well, 2 out of 3 I presume took it lightly..." was all he could say.

The corners of my mouth faltered, "I'm sorry..." to which Zack also murmurs repeatedly.

Jackson shakes it off disregardingly as to not ruin the moment, "it's okay, what's done is done," he grins. Though I was indeed feeling sorry, it was for the best not to pry further into this topic.

-

As it was starting to get late, they both had to somewhere else to be. Both promise to keep in touch as much as possible and I appreciate them for it. Before Zack could pass the wall of white fabric, he turns to me, "stay alive Ethan," he gives a sad smile before leaving. Then Jackson, almost apprehensive to take his exit, idles momentarily and stares at me. His mouth twitches in anticipation, giving me a longing expression. Opening his mouth to speak, he shakes his head and walks over to give me a kiss on the forehead. Bewildered, I quickly got over the action and smile back at him.

Then, he returns to the edge of the curtains before glancing one last time, "I love you, Ethan..."

My heart pounds, hearing those words for the first time.

"I love you too Jackson..."