8

||ETHAN||

Kenny's shift doesn't start until 3 o'clock, so that meant that Carla is the only coworker that I have a familiarity with. I reported my experience to Pamela and she was pleased to hear about yesterday; although, she says I could start preparing food myself after a week later which bummed me out at first but it was reasonable. I'm stood in the counters as a cashier while Carla and another older worker are in the kitchen dealing with the food. The only way to communicate to her was through the average-sized window that separated us.

"One Pimento cheese and bacon platter and a small coffee please," the customer in front if me listed their order.

"That'll be $8.50 please," I said with a greeting smile. The man lends me his money and I registered it, giving back his change, "thank you, sir, your breakfast will be out with Jonathan," I said.

"Thanks, have a good day," the man said with a wave as he took a seat on one of the chairs alone. Taking the receipt for the cooks to prepare, I taped it to the order wheel for Carla and the other guy.

"You doing fine there?" Carla came over to pick up the piece of paper and checked on me.

"Yep, I'm okay," I nodded.

"K' just holler if there's a problem, yeah?" She says before walking over to her station. As much as I like the small interactions with strangers in the counter, it did feel a little boring when I don't have a person to talk with all the time since Carla's frequently busy. We weren't exactly allowed with our phones out either; unless it's our break so I couldn't send any text messages to anyone. Not that I could contact with anyone who's free anyways.

"May I take your order?" I said as a woman came to the front of the line.

-

"Wait... Kenny is a college student?" I said, sounding surprised at Carla as she nodded, spooning her mac and cheese and eating it. Right now we're sat in our backside table having a random discussion about turtles when it somehow shifted to Kenny. Yep, that's how we started off our lunch period together.

"The boy is a hard worker, he's freakishly smart too: he takes medical classes in both anatomy and medication," she shrugs with her mouth slightly full.

"How did you know?" I questioned.

"Back then, I managed to take a peek at his papers when he took a nap during our breaks before," said Carla. I frowned as my eyes lowered. I felt incredibly envious, just the talk about college made me feel gloomy for not having the same opportunities as those who are fortunate. "What's wrong?" Carla asked, concerned.

I shook my head, "it's nothing," thinking of steering the topic to a different direction, I asked her, "say, I wonder, why'd you decide to work here?"

She grins as she places her plastic spoon down, "well... I just enjoy preparing food for others, and Pamela is a really kind manager," she explained. I smiled at her as we kept on having our conversation in peace.

-

Time passes and since there were fewer patrons present, I went to go clean up our spaces, washed some dishes, and wiped the tables. While doing so, I hummed a song in my head while I was busy doing my business which later on turned into mumbles. "Oh wow Ethan, you sound good," Carla says, smiling at me from a distance.

"Thank you," I blushed.

"Can you sing?" She asked, her lashes fluttered.

Grinning bashfully, I rubbed my arm, "heh, I guess, but I'm kinda shy when I'm presenting by myself."

"Aw come on, hearing you murmuring, I'm sure you sing well."

Tilting my head and thinking about for a moment, I shrugged and sang one of my favorite songs at the moment. Clearing my throat and closing my eyes, I started.

"I found a love for me
Darling just dive right in
And follow my lead..."

Swiping the table cloth with circular motions on the surface, I went on.

"... Well I found you, beautiful and sweet
I never knew you were the someone waiting for me..."

The front door opened with the corner bell ringing. I opened my eyes, just now realizing that Kenny and Jackson had entered and were staring at me. My mouth shut instantly as I felt too embarrassed to proceed. "Keep going! You were doing so well!" Carla motivated as she had taken a seat. My eyes darted around my three audiences and sighed.

" 'Cause we were just kids when we fell in love..."

-

After I finished, Carla was the only one that applauded enthusiastically. Kenny had somewhat of an amused look with an eyebrow raised while Jackson seemed too starstruck to function as his eyes were so fixated on me. I let out a small giggle as I felt my cheeks redden. "Ethan! You're incredible!" Carla cheered, holding my hands as she hopped in excitement.

"T-thanks," I said, baffled by her overwhelming compliments. My eyes wandered to the two in the room who were just staying quiet, "Hi Kenny," I smiled at him. Kenny nods silently as he excuses himself to get ready in the back, hulling over a backpack with him.

"And you're here too!" I said to Jackson cheerfully.