10 - Death To The Swans

"I don't recommend it, he hasn't even given me my money back,"

Luminous sighed, defeated. The bells around the school had just rung, indicating classes were over, yet Luminous and Finger were still away on the latter's spontaneous trip to an exclusive resort.

"He said he'd pay me back once he got cash, I already sent him the $100,000," Y/N replied, feeling a sting in her chest as she began regretting her decision to lend Finger her money. It had been three days since Finger's first phone call, and it hadn't been his last. He spent the next three days begging Y/N for money, which she finally gave in and lent him 100,000 gold just this morning.

She wished she had never given in to Finger's pestering.

Luminous sighed again, though she couldn't see him, she knew he was shaking his head. "That's what he always says, I wouldn't take his word for it," he paused, "I never thought I'd say this but I would rather be at school right now, this is torture, and I'm broke now,"

The shade of the tree sheltered her from the sun. With autumn just around the corner, gentle winds blew through the college, swiping homework assignments into the air and annoyingly blowing up the skirts of the girls at school.

Though, despite all the complaints about the girl's school uniform, Principal Anjou seemed fine with it.

Y/N's arm rested on her knee, holding her phone up to her ear as she continued to listen to Luminous rant about Finger's antics. Sitting in solitude underneath the giant tree in front of the cafeteria, the only disturbance was her friend's voice of agony ringing through her ears.

"Can't you just fly back yourself?" Y/N asked.

"If I could, I would," Luminous answered, "but I told you, I lost all my money to Finger, he's a fraud! A con-man!"

Y/N chuckled. She knew she had quite the savings thanks to the generous donation from the college, but after listening to Luminous speak about how this was a frequent problem with Finger, she wished she had never lent him anything.

Despite Luminous also getting a hefty helping check from the college, he admitted to spending it all on food and games. And loaning most of it to Finger, and never getting it back.

From afar, she spotted her raven-haired friend making his way toward the same tree. Her lips lifted in the faintest of smiles.

Despite Luminous wanting to continue with his ranting, Y/N was quick to interrupt him. "Sorry, Lu, I've gotta go, I'm sure Finger will be able to get you guys back with the money I sent him," she said, standing from her spot under the tree, leaving an imprint in the grass. "I'll call you again tonight to see how things turned out, see ya!"

Ignoring Luminous' cries for help, she pressed the red button to hang up. Of course, she was concerned with the matter of Finger losing all her money and her friends being stranded on an island resort, but she still had to deal with her own trials.

Johann walked up to her calmly, giving the shorter girl a side smile, "You ready to go?"

Y/N nodded, brushing down the back of her skirt for any residue grass sticking onto it. "You said you want to take me to a lake?"

Johann nodded as he led the way. "I thought it'd be a good place to start officially training. I go there sometimes by myself. It's not too far from the college, just down the mountain path,"

As they began their way off campus, Y/N noticed Susie with another group of friends, who stared at her with an emotion Y/N could not read. As the girls made eye contact, Susie was the first to break away, holding her textbooks close to her chest, as if wishing she could avoid Y/N's gaze. Y/N bit the inside of her cheek before looking away. She'd have to talk face-to-face with Susie about this sooner than later, otherwise, she'd have unwanted drama with one of her friends.