46 - Letting Go

There were monsters that lived in her nightmares.

One wore a mask of love and killed her entire family. The other set her friends on fire.

Some of them were liars who would take their blades and cut through the flesh of her back.

But these ones—they approached her with wide grins and gluttonous hearts that yearned for power and wealth.

How quickly the world would turn on her if only for the sake of something so shallow. Greed.

Y/N woke up late in the night with a sharp pain in the back of her neck.

"Good, you're awake,"

She turned to her side and was surprised to find Chisei Gen sitting patiently in the armchair next to her bed. Somehow she was always in this situation.

There was an evident panic in her eyes, she jumped at the sudden eye contact.

"Are you going to kill me?"

She was in one of Hydra's rooms, she knew it. And that room had fallen silent. The atmosphere sat so heavy that not even Chisei's blade could slice through it.

With a breath of relief, she watched Chisei shake his head.

"I want to help you,"

And when the words escaped his lips Y/N was at a loss for words. Her eyelids flickered with bewilderment and her expression relaxed to one that was less panicked than when she had woken up.

"But," Y/N said quietly, almost as if she couldn't quite believe it. "Why would you help me?"

Chisei absentmindedly leans back into the chair. Y/N had never seen him so relaxed. She wouldn't have thought he'd find it an appropriate time to right now, having just witnessed the destruction of an entire street within seconds.

"I'm a threat to humanity..." Y/N trails off, repeating the words that Anjou had used to describe her during his announcement for her head.

But Chisei must've seen something different then, if he was sitting beside her now, offering his help.

"In all the times I needed a friend, you were always there," he answered, "despite our differences, I've never had someone like you in my life,"

And when she looked deep into his eyes, she could only see the truth.

"I'm simply helping you because you are my friend,"

-

Chisei's men were stationed just outside the room, save for Sakura who waited behind Chisei—she remained silent as ever. Even inside Hydra's headquarters, there was a need for bodyguards for the patriarch and clan chiefs.

Y/N, herself, may have been the reason for tightened security.

"You understand that because I am a descendant of the Light King, your skill has no effect on me," Chisei said.

Y/N nodded with what little knowledge she had of her skill and her lineage. "That's why you want to help?"

"I want to," Chisei said, "but I also realize I'm the only one that can. The others are descendants of the Dark King,"

Speaking of, Y/N wondered what had even happened to everyone else after Chisei had knocked her out. She hoped Z and Zero were okay.

"You also must understand that Imperium is not a word you should just be announcing out of the blue," he warned, "haven't you heard of dragon incantations?"

Y/N furrowed her brows and nodded her head to the side. Obviously not.

Chisei sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose, "Just by announcing the word itself, it can prove to be very fatal. Without the specific incantation, you have no control over what your skill may do to your surroundings.