Chapter sixteen

We were in Italy. Ali was driving a yellow Porsche that she "borrowed" towards the city. She's already passed a car and a tractor.

"I'm guessing you didn't rent this car." Bella stated.

"We figured you wouldn't be opposed to grand theft auto." Ali told her. Ali was covered in a hat, scarf, and gloves to hide her skin so the sun wouldn't shine on her. I was lucky all I had to do was shield myself from touch and the sun couldn't touch me.

"Not today." Suddenly Ali went into a vision. I leaned forward and kept the wheel steady so we wouldn't run off the road.

"What do you see?" Bella asked.

"They refused him." Oh no.

"Soooo?"

"He's gonna make a scene, show himself to the humans."

"No." Bella and I said at the same time.

"When?" Bella asked.

"He's gonna wait til noon when the sun's at its highest." Oh no, that didn't give us much time.

~

We drove into Volterra, everyone was in red. Ali kept honking to get people to move.

"Why are they all in red?"

"Saint Marcus's day festival, they're celebrating the expulsion of vampires from the city." Ali told her.

"It's the perfect setting, the Volturi won't let him get far enough to reveal himself." I added.

"5 minutes." Bella said, starting to hyperventilate

"Just breathe Bella." We told her calmly, and I started to rub her arm. We pulled up but some cops stopped us. Bella got out.

"Alice, Alex?" Bella asked, waiting.

"Bella, you're the only one he can't see coming. He'll read my thoughts and know I'm lying. He'll rush into it. And Alex has to shield from touch in order to stay hidden so she can't touch him." Ali told her.

"Where do I go?"

"He'll be under the clock tower. Go!"

~

Ali and I were heading to the clock tower. I walked a bit ahead, the door was shut and locked. I looked around before quickly walking through the door.

"Hello boys." I said in a sickly sweet voice to Felix and Demetri. I unlocked the door for Ali.

"Hello Alex." They replied in a monotone voice. Ali walked in taking off her scarf.

"Come on guys, it's a festival. You wouldn't want to make a scene."

"We wouldn't." Felix told us. Jane then walked in. Jane is very tiny and everyone is scared of her. Well everyone except me and I've felt her power. It hurts worse than getting changed.

"Enough." She said, catching everyone else's attention.

"Jane." Ed said as he and Ali looked away. Bella and I didn't. She didn't because she didn't know, I didn't because she's honestly not that scary, she's just very tiny.

"Aro sent me to see what was taking so long." She told Demetri and Felix. She turned and walked away, we followed her.

"Just do as she says." Ali warned Bella.

~

We made it down the tunnel and got out of the Elevator. We passed the receptionist who said something in Italian. I don't know Italian or any other language. Heck I still struggle with English. I unshielded myself from touch, you have to be prepared here.