1.3 Banished

Thomas that night had gotten in his hammock and had strange dreams— or maybe memories. He couldn't tell. None of it was clear.

But he knew he saw Isadora. He saw her smiling at him. Holding a heart necklace with 'T+I' engraved on it.

He also hears her voice and giggle. She said that they couldn't trust them– that they needed to do something. But he didn't know what that meant.

He also didn't know what it meant when he heard someone whisper:

"Wicked is good."

○●

Thomas woke up and a hand covered his mouth, scaring him. It was Alby.

"Sh." The leader whispered. He then motioned for Thomas to follow him, so Thomas put on his shoes and followed Alby.

"It's peaceful isn't it?" Alby rhetorically questioned as he led Thomas to the wall surrounding the glade. "I know its hard to believe, but it wasn't always this way. We had dark days."

Alby walked on and Thomas followed. Alby had a combat knife in his hand. Worrying the greenie slightly.

"We lost alot of boys to fear. To panic. And we've come far since then. Established order. Made peace." Alby explained.

"Why are you telling me this?" Thomas questioned as they looked at the glade. It was quite, everyone still peacefully asleep.

"Your not like the others. Your curious." Alby stated. "But your one of us now. You need to know what that means." He then handed Thomas the knife and pointed to the wall behind them.

It was filled with the names of the gladers. Thomas walked closer to it, and examined the names. He then came across isadora's name. It had been crossed off and the re-written, which confused the newbie.

"What happened to them?" Thomas questioned, gesturing to the crossed of names. One was so crossed of he couldn't even read it.

"Like I said. Dark days, Thomas." Alby said. Thomas stood for a moment before he began to carve his name in the stone. He carved it right near Isadora's name.

Later, in the gardens, Isadora was patching up one of the boys. Working in the gardens, which also happened to be the first job Thomas was trying out.

"Has anyone ever tried climbing to the top?" Thomas questioned, stopping digging for a moment as Isadora cleaned the wound on zart's hand.

"Tried it. The ivy doesn't go all the way to the top. Besides, where you gonna go from there." Newt responded.

"What about the box? You know, next time it comes up we—" Thomas began.

"Nope." Isadora stated. "Box won't go back down with someone inside it."

"What if we—" Thomas was interrupted again, by Newt this time. He got greenie's suggesting things a the time when they first arrived. And it irritated him a little.