2.10 Traitor

The two were layed on separate beds, Isadora two beds away from Brenda. Newt sat on Isadora's right as Jorge sat on Brenda's left.

Thomas sat in a position so he was able to see both girls, though his eyes were more trained on Isadora.

"In the beginning we were lost." Mary explained as blood was being took from Thomas as she prepared something else. "All we knew for sure was the younger you were, the stronger your chances."

"You worked for WCKD?" Thomas questioned in suprise.

"A long time ago." She admitted. "You know, at first we had the best intentions– find a cure, save the world."

Mary began to pour some of Thomas's blood into a clear liquid, as she told her story.

"It was clear you kids were the key, because you were immune. But why?" Mary said, no one noticing Teresa secretly listening. "Eventually I found an answer, an enzyme produced by the brain of the immune."

Mary had now produced a blue solution in a test tube, and swirled it around.

"One separated from the blood stream, can serve as a powerful agent to slow the spread of the virus." Mary explained.

"So you found a cure?" Thomas asked.

"Not exactly." Mary stated. "The enzyme can't be manufactured, only harvested from an immune. The young." She scoffed as she filled up two syringes.

"Of course, that didn't stop WCKD." Mary explained. "If they had their way, they would sacrifice an entire generation. All for this." She held help the syringe. "A gift of biology. Of evolution."

"One not meant for all of us." She added, taking the other syringe, walking over to Brenda first as Teresa left.

Jorge held onto Brenda as she was given the formula making her breathing slow and her muscles relax.

Mary then moved over to Isadora, and Newt held her hand as she was given the serum. Isadora gasped, her eyes fluttering open for a second.

"Thank you." She whispered to the woman, making her smile as she fell asleep again.

"How long will it give them?" Thomas asked, his eyes focused on Isadora.

"It's different for everyone. A few months maybe." Mary replied. "But that's the catch, isn't it? They'll always need more.

"Let's go outside. Let them rest." Mary stated but Newt didn't want to leave her, so stayed.

Jorge hesitated aswell but left. Newt stayed a minute or two before deciding he should tell the others she was okay.

"Thank you, Tommy." Newt stated. "You better treat her right."

"I promise, Newt." Thomas assured, Newt gave his back a pat before heading out the tent.

"Thomas," Mary came over once the blonde had left, "You know they can't come with us."

Thomas looked at her sadly, his gaze casting towards Isadora. He didn't know if he could leave her. But he didn't know if he could watch her turn.

Thomas began to put his jacket on, sighing as he looked over at Isadora. He was glad she looked healthier, less pale.

He then moved to Brenda, to mutter a goodbye when he saw a shiny round thing. The thing she had gone back too.

Thomas picked it up, glancing at Brenda before opening it. Inside was a picture of a young boy.

"He was my brother." Brenda stated, her eyes opening.