Chapter 14: Inescapable Fate

Location: Utility Tunnels

Time: 11:10pm

While Freddy marches past the grey walls of the utility tunnels towards the location of Gregory's signal via the fastest available route, Mike has a conversation with Henry as they both float slightly beside the speeding Freddy.

"Did you know?" Mike asks.

"Know what?" Henry speaks.

"That the child we met was William, even before he told us who he was?"

"Sort of." Henry confessed, "When I first saw Gregory come out from the chest cavity, my first thought was that he looked exactly like him when we were children but I assumed it was pure coincidence because it was impossible for anyone to survive being burned to a crisp at temperatures above 200 degrees".

"Well you know my father....Nothing is impossible for him. He always comes back." Mike recites William's favourite catchphrase.

"Heh true but...I didn't want to believe it was him, I wanted to let bygones be bygones, but when Gregory pulled out that knife and did that wide grin, I already knew it was him moments before he said it."

"Ah that 'wide grin'. I can do it too you know".

Mike sports an ear to ear grin that was identical to Gregory's, his teeth bared at Henry, "I do it to unsettle people. It's hilarious to see their reactions".

"What about you Mike?" Henry questions, "Did you realise Gregory was William?"

"I never knew what my father looked like as a child so it's why I didn't pick up on it at all until he straight up confessed it. To be honest, he did remind me of my little brother at first though, which is why I wanted to protect him with you before... you know".

Henry senses the restlessness and fury growing within Mike again, "You're very bothered by him, aren't you?"

"You mean 'Gregory'? Yeah. I don't know why he keeps calling himself that."

"Perhaps he really doesn't want to be like William in the same way you didn't want to be associated with him back then either?"

"Yeah but here's the problem: I can distance myself from my father because, even though I look like him, I'm related to him by blood only partially. 'Gregory' on the other hand? He's a complete flesh and blood copy of that psychopath. Why should we trust that he wants be different from him?"

"Because he doesn't seem like William. As far as I can tell, he's a blank slate." Henry rationalises, "Gregory has childlike innocence and is still in the middle learning what's right from wrong. If we could steer him towards make better choices, he won't be like your father personality-wise at least".

"Didn't seem like he had 'childlike innocence' when he brandished that knife in front of Freddy though did he?" Mike takes a deep breath and clenches his fists, "Henry. This might not seem right to you but...I don't want to give him a chance. I want to kill him. I want justice not just for myself but for his victims, the many innocents who died by his hands over the years because of his selfish ambitions."

"I...understand your feelings Micheal but for now, we need him to help us alright and I want all of us to cooperate as best as possible. So please, can you try to be a little less antagonistic toward him?"

"I can try but there's no guarantee." Mike promises half-heartedly.

STOMP STOMP STOMP

A hefty and ominous green shape ahead blocked Freddy's path forward. It sported a red mohawk and had scaly textured pants. On his wrists were spiky black bracelets and balancing on his snout were a pair of yellow-rimmed star shaped glasses that had violet lenses.