Settling In Part 2

Veronica's Pov

It's only been a day and I miss my old life already...

Eleven began picking up things in her bedroom, and motioned for me to sit on her bed. I sat down looking around the green walls and another wave of anger settled over me. Her excited smile fades a little as she studies my face.

"You were an angel." She says out of the blue. I look up at her confused.

"What?" I asked. Realizing that her speech wasn't all that proper. But then again, I was told she grew up in a lab.

"On Halloween, you were an angel." She says.

"Oh yeah. I was at a Halloween party and that was my costume." I trail off awkwardly. She tilts her head sideways in confusion. She continued to show me her room, and have us read through some magazines she said Max gave her.

 For a few hours she asked me about what high school was like. I guess she's never been to school, or really had a normal childhood. So I spent another hour talking about my childhood in Arizona. I tried to hold in my homesickness and bitterness as I went down memory lane.

"Do you like music?" She asks. I just give her a nod, and with the motion of her hand, the boombox radio started to play a song, causing me to jolt backwards.

She looks back at me in worry.

"Do you not know?" She asks, her eyes wide.

"No, I know," I sigh, "They told me everything. It's just hard to believe. I mean I've seen....but I.. I've never seen you use your 'powers' when I'm around. " I say.

"I'm not allowed to." She says looking down, before continuing, "But I have." She says.

"When?"I asked slightly confused that I never noticed it. She bites her lip nervously and hesitates to reply.

"In the corn maze. It's how we got out quickly." She murmurs. Of course she was on his side. When I don't say anything, she speaks again.

"And I check up on you sometimes. To see if you're okay." She says.

"What? How do you 'check up on me,'?" I asks nervously.

"I concentrate on someone I want to see, and close my eyes, and I see them. I know where they are and what they're doing." she answers and now my eyes widen.

"Umm.. how often do you do this?" I asked, freaked out at the invasion of my privacy.

"Not often." She shakes her head. "Only in emergencies. But sometimes I do it for fun. Max and I spin a bottle and it picks who I see." She says.

"Am I checked on for fun?" I ask.

"No.  You are an emergency." She says.

"Oh." I say, not knowing how to respond.

"You're really pretty." She states randomly once again, and then looks down, nodding her head like she's thinking something over.

"Uh..Thank you." I awkwardly, knowing that I probably look like a mess right now.

"...I understand.." She says.

"What?" I ask, but before she can answer, Hopper opens the door.

"Don't you knock?" Eleven asks, her tone sounding similar to Max. Hopper holds his hands up in surrender.

"Sorry, I just wanted to tell you that I set up the air mattress. And that dinner is ready so lets go." Hopper said.

"Eleven motions for me to follow, and we walk into the tiny kitchen. I sit on one side of the small table and Eleven sits next to me, as Hopper puts down our food. It's a microwave dinner, but I'm not surprised, considering he was probably living the life of a bachelor before adopting Eleven.