Chapter 11: bittersweet

Mason Walton

I calmly took the phone from Kat not daring to look at Rita who was glaring daggers at me. I checked my calls and messages and yes, there were a few messages from Celine. I groaned and tucked my phone into my pocket. "Thank you, Kat," I gave her a smile and tried getting lost in her eyes like I always do but couldn't, all I could think about was why would Celine call me?

A knock on the door startled me as I let out a frustrated sigh before answering it. It was the bell boy coming for my bag and informing me my car was there.

"Where did you park the car?" I asked Rita who was giving me a concerned look "Not now." I warned her "Where did you park it?" I felt Kat take a step back. She might sense there was something off with me but I wasn't going to allow myself to panic in front of them.

"I gave it to the valet and told him it was yours."

I nodded content with her answer, knowing the valet would park it in my private space next to my dad's and will give the keys to the hotel's manager. We all followed the bell boy out after making sure I didn't forget anything and stacked into the elevator. Rita and the bell boy were standing upfront while Kat and I were in the back. I let my hand brush against her and smiled when her cheeks became a crimson red. I was going to miss seeing her most of the day that was for sure.

"When are you coming back to Boston Mason?"

I was still looking at Kat when I answered Rita's question "Maybe next week."

"You're coming next week?" Kat's eyes gleamed with hope, but why would they?

"Do you want me to come next week Kat?" I asked with a smirk and heard Rita chuckle.

She blushed as she tucked a strand behind her ear as she looked down "No, I'm just asking..."

"Well, it depends on your boss."

"If you do come next week Mason, don't be a stranger," Rita said before walking out of the elevators and we followed suit coming face to face with the one and only Zachary Walton.

"Mason? What a surprise..." He looked at Rita on my left and Kat who was standing on my right "Ladies,"

"Dad, fancy meeting you here."

"I heard you made Co-CEO, congrats are in order I guess. I hope you'll be up to it."

I gritted my teeth not wanting to argue with him in front of people. I knew what he really thought about it, and he probably gave Adam an earful. I wondered why the sudden change toward me, we were always so close.

"I hope so too."

"What brings you to Boston?"

"It was a business trip; I'm leaving for New York now."

He glanced at Kat then at Rita and nodded "Yeah I can tell it was business."

"Mr. Walton? You remember me?" Rita smiled brightly at my dad, jumping in the conversation probably sensing my discomfort "I'm Rita Roberts, Daughter of Rafael Roberts?"

"Oh Rita, yes, you went to College with Mason right... How is your father? It's been so long since I saw him."

"He's doing just great, as happy as he could be with business booming."

"Business? I thought he retired."

"Oh he did, he left his empire to my brother Martin and me. And let me tell you, it's doing great!"

"That's good to hear, wow, so you like business?"

"I love business, it's my passion. And I'm good at it." She chuckled glancing at me "I was just in a brief meeting with Mason, I was thinking of branching in New York..."